baby tortoise on flight?

aneta

I am moving from Hawaii to Chicago ,I will have my baby leopard tortoise ,1 year old in cargo ,I hope it will be all right ...I will put like hay to warm him up and soak him in water before ,so he is not thirsty if any ,its a flight hononulu-portland-seattle-chicago ,two stops ..... ....any advices highly recommended ,mahalo

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Welcome to Chicago. I have never shipped a tortoise. I hope you have checked with the airlines to be sure he will be excepted? If so, and he is able to fly with you, can you not put him under your seat? I would make sure to put him In a live animal box, with air holes and which side should be UP with arrows. Pack him as if he were being shipped to someone. Check with "ship your reptiles" for proper packaging.
Also, I love the city of Chicago. But, I also love Hawaii. Why would you move from such a paradise?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
cargo is not pressurized or climate control. no matter how much hay you use it will not keep him warm. I would suggest trying to ship him with one of the shipping companies.

aneta

yes ,Alaska airlines ships Tortoise in temperature control cargo You can't have tortoise with You in the cabin but You can have bird or rabbit,dogs and cats so I don't understand that ...,so my Pedro made it ,I am in Chicago with him my flight was 10 h wit 2 stops - 4 h in between each flight , so thankfully I could take my tortoise between flights ,yes he was really really cold I was warming him up sometimes it took half an hour before he open his eyes and start moving ,it was scary on the second stop between flights I puted warm bottle of water covered in paper bag in his cage it did really help ,but I don't think I would do it again ,if I have 10 h flight straight no stops its possibility he wouldn't make it ,...in hawaii I had him outside on balcony now he is indoor I would like recommendations for heat lamps and uv lamp ,basking spot lamps any recomendation preciated ,and also hawaii is not all paradise ;)of course the nature and ocean ,surfing is amazing :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad it went well. I like mercury vapor bulbs gives light, heat and UVB. I also use the che, ceramic heat emitter. I usually buy the PowerSun mercury vapor bulbs.