Baby sulcatas!!

Ms.Bella

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I wanted to share this because I though it was so cute/neat

One of my mom's friends has two sullys, she went out to take care of them and this is what she found! Babies! Popping out of the ground!! Like daisies!! lol
I offered my baby sitting services :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 84

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Where does your friend live? I dig these stories...nothing like Mother Nature taking care of her own! Is she selling them?

Ms.Bella

Southern California
SoCal area, not sure the exact city, it's one of my moms friends

I don't know what her plans are, I'm just hoping she takes my offer for help!

I think it's amazing too!
we had a male here for a bit with my "girls" (until we rehomed him) and when my girl started digging a burrow, I half expected to find eggs in it, but she was just looking to cool down

chaseswife

5 Year Member
This is kind of how i was told that my baby Shrimp came to be. The owners of the mama found a male to mate with her just to try their hand with babies 1 time. They didn't realize that female tortoises can store the sperm. Almost 2 years later and they woke up to more babies crawling around their yard.

Ms.Bella

Southern California
Wow!
I was wondering how common this is and if the babies are any better or worse off having been incubated naturally.
I found out, this is actually my moms friends cousin. So kind of far down the food chain from me. I'm really hoping he contacts me for help/fostering of these guys. I'm kind of interesting in how a naturally incubated baby differs from one commercially raised and bred

JerseySulcata

5 Year Member
I have a 7 yr old but would love to have a hatchling also. Can you please get the persons contact info?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow!
I was wondering how common this is and if the babies are any better or worse off having been incubated naturally.
I found out, this is actually my moms friends cousin. So kind of far down the food chain from me. I'm really hoping he contacts me for help/fostering of these guys. I'm kind of interesting in how a naturally incubated baby differs from one commercially raised and bred

I've hatched them both ways and there isn't much difference at all. The ones that come out of the ground are typically a little more flighty initially, but they settle down after a few weeks of the care routine. No difference in health, vigor, growth, etc...

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I've hatched them both ways and there isn't much difference at all. The ones that come out of the ground are typically a little more flighty initially, but they settle down after a few weeks of the care routine. No difference in health, vigor, growth, etc...
ea, but there was still something different about the WILD BUNCH... I can't put my finger on it, but there was an element to them you don't get in (artificially) incubated animals!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
It's endive and radicchio day for the ITs...check out the exuberance in IT-2's eye!

IT-1
DSC_0229.JPG
IT-2
DSC_0217.JPG
IT-3
DSC_0226.JPG