Baby Sulcata habitat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mangito

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
20130729_143308.jpg
Is this a good schematic for a baby sulcata? I'm using a 106 qt tub, like this one:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Sterilite-106-quart-Latch-Box-18898004/100558429/

Now i have several questions:
1. Can the CHE and mvb be on the same side?

2. Should the humid hide be on the warmer or cooler side?
If the humid hide can be on the cooler side, I would prefer to put it over there in the corner, put the water dish next to it and a plant next to the basking rocks on the warmer side..

3. Are the air holes and see through areas okay? If would rather keep the lid latched and secure to keep anything else (dogs, cats and children alike) out. I made sure the see through would be above our babies heads so they can't see out, but we can see in.

I have to wait until I get paid on Thursday, as I just paid all my bills, but I'm having fun trying to map it out :D

Last edited by a moderator:

ainfalt

5 Year Member
I don't know a lot, but I do know that the humid area needs to be warm. I've heard in the forums that cool & humid is bad news.

Mangito

5 Year Member
Arizona
ainfalt said:
I don't know a lot, but I do know that the humid area needs to be warm. I've heard in the forums that cool & humid is bad news.

Well I'm going to make sure the whole thing doesn't go below 80...If i was on the cool side it would be around 85 and the warm side 90-100

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I used totes similar to those. I actually attached two together with a tunnel going between the two for my one leopard. I also used two CHE, one for the end where the mvb was, for night time and one on the other side. During summer, I would turn one off if it got too warm. As long as your keeping the whole thing 80 as in Toms threads, which btw, are below in my post. Then your hides can be anyplace.

Mangito

5 Year Member
Arizona
wellington said:
I used totes similar to those. I actually attached two together with a tunnel going between the two for my one leopard. I also used two CHE, one for the end where the mvb was, for night time and one on the other side. During summer, I would turn one off if it got too warm. As long as your keeping the whole thing 80 as in Toms threads, which btw, are below in my post. Then your hides can be anyplace.

What wattage did you use? Do you think the air holes are okay?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The mvb was 160 and the CHE were 100. I didn't use air holes. There will be enough air exchange where the lights are placed and when you open to feed, etc. Toms doesn't even have air holes and his lighting is all enclosed. I lined the rim of the holes I put in the lid with tin foil. It protects the plastic from melting. I made the holes just a bit smaller then the dome of the light/CHE. Lined the rim of hole with tin foil and placed the dome on the foil so light, CHE/mvb was centered in the hole. I also piped in a warm mist humidifier.

Mangito

5 Year Member
Arizona
wellington said:
The mvb was 160 and the CHE were 100. I didn't use air holes. There will be enough air exchange where the lights are placed and when you open to feed, etc. Toms doesn't even have air holes and his lighting is all enclosed. I lined the rim of the holes I put in the lid with tin foil. It protects the plastic from melting. I made the holes just a bit smaller then the dome of the light/CHE. Lined the rim of hole with tin foil and placed the dome on the foil so light, CHE/mvb was centered in the hole. I also piped in a warm mist humidifier.

Thank you this has been very helpful! I was definitely worried about the plastic melting, the tin foil is a great idea. I may have to keep the humidity up the hard way, however, with diligence and a spray bottle.

Another question... Can I put the CHE in my dual deep dome lamp or do I need something else?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The dual deep dome says not to use with a CHE. I just read that on the box I have.

I wouldn't do air holes. No need, it will work against you.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Mangito

5 Year Member
Arizona
Team Gomberg said:
The dual deep dome says not to use with a CHE. I just read that on the box I have.

I wouldn't do air holes. No need, it will work against you.

Heather

So what should I use for the CHE?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I use a large dome from home depot..10" I believe. Ceramic socket. $10 or so.

The problem with the mini deep dome is the CHE gets too hot and it doesn't offer enough escape for the heat.

Heather

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
I think it is a great plan! Can't wait to see finished enclosure! Good Luck and don't forget to post new pics!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Your temps sound like they will end up being ok. Its so very important to keep them warm enough.

Mangito

5 Year Member
Arizona
Team Gomberg said:
I use a large dome from home depot..10" I believe. Ceramic socket. $10 or so.

The problem with the mini deep dome is the CHE gets too hot and it doesn't offer enough escape for the heat.

Heather

I can't find anything like that on the website :(

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Search for "clamp lamp". Make sure it has a ceramic base (where the bulb screws in), and rated for more watts than you will use. I don't recommend trusting the "clamp" portion of the lamp.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

Mangito

5 Year Member
Arizona
It's finally finished! They love it! I have a section blocked off under the light because I'm growing a "garden" of seed mix that I ordered from sulcatafood.com and it needs to grow a little before they start trampling all over it, haha.

Right under the lamps the temps get up to 100 degrees, cooling off a little every time I open the lid. The cool side has been consistently right around 85 degrees and humidity is 85+.

20130801_171722.jpg Top view :)
20130801_171751.jpg Side view :)
20130801_172014.jpg Under CHE (lid is off which is why the temp is low)
20130801_172007.jpg Cool side + humidity
20130801_173408.jpg Garden area

In about a week we will be making a second habitat and then Torty will be going to love with my stepdaughter and her mom. I will be sending him off with everything they need to ensure it stays a happy healthy tortoise!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.