Baby ornate box turtle out door enclosure

Turtlesfromcolo

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hi there!! I have 3, 7month old baby ornate box turtles and we just recently built an out door enclosure for them. I did put chicken wire on the bottom to prevent them from digging out, but it will still allow for draining..Today I noticed some ants wondering around.. Could they be dangerous to my babies. If so, what could I do to remove them? Thanks for the help.. They have been kept indoors since they hatched last fall.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Hi there!! I have 3, 7month old baby ornate box turtles and we just recently built an out door enclosure for them. I did put chicken wire on the bottom to prevent them from digging out, but it will still allow for draining..Today I noticed some ants wondering around.. Could they be dangerous to my babies. If so, what could I do to remove them? Thanks for the help.. They have been kept indoors since they hatched last fall.

HelloTurtlesfromcolo and Welcome! If they are Fire ants then I would be concerned and wouldn't put them in the enclosure until the ants are taken care of. If you want to get rid of ants naturally I would get Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth at a local Feed Store(Tractor Supply carrys it) and sprinkle it where the ants seem to travel. The Food Grade will not hurt your little ones but it will suffocate any insect that comes across it. Just remember its a barrier not a colony killer, so if the colony is somewhere on the outside of the enclosure then I would take care of it with some controlled insecticide methods. Good Luck!

Turtlesfromcolo

Colorado
HelloTurtlesfromcolo and Welcome! If they are Fire ants then I would be concerned and wouldn't put them in the enclosure until the ants are taken care of. If you want to get rid of ants naturally I would get Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth at a local Feed Store(Tractor Supply carrys it) and sprinkle it where the ants seem to travel. The Food Grade will not hurt your little ones but it will suffocate any insect that comes across it. Just remember its a barrier not a colony killer, so if the colony is somewhere on the outside of the enclosure then I would take care of it with some controlled insecticide methods. Good Luck!
Thank you.. I don't think they are fire ants, but I'm still going to get rid of them. Yes they are located outside of the enclosure, so I'll treat that area..