Baby dead

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Yeah, bummer about loosing an animal. The mystery as to why will never happen with certainty.

Consider as Tom said that the prolapse happened after. So what would cause a post death prolapse? Gas, internal gas. I have seen this with a few tortoises. The speculative cause is amoebas in the gut or systemic throughout the tortoise. That in itself may not be a 'cause' of death but can complicate a young tortoise's life.

If you do take a look see inside make many images. I and hopefully other would help you interpret them. All you really need are scissors.

I do not see what I would call any very informative necropsy videos on YouTube. I'll see what I can do about that.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Yeah, bummer about loosing an animal. The mystery as to why will never happen with certainty.

Consider as Tom said that the prolapse happened after. So what would cause a post death prolapse? Gas, internal gas. I have seen this with a few tortoises. The speculative cause is amoebas in the gut or systemic throughout the tortoise. That in itself may not be a 'cause' of death but can complicate a young tortoise's life.

If you do take a look see inside make many images. I and hopefully other would help you interpret them. All you really need are scissors.

I do not see what I would call any very informative necropsy videos on YouTube. I'll see what I can do about that.

Oh man,. It's burried now.
I was going to ask for your for help to open it up too. Kicking myself again wish I had done it now.

One thing that was brought to my attention and like a fool I think it is a possibility. I had my spagnhum moss too wet. Although I put the heat gun on the moss regularly (28°c) it felt cool. It's also something I and Dawn talked about a while back too.(even more pain and regret) If that was the case and the little guy(out of his own choice) sat in wet moss regularly, could it turn a seemingly healthy hatchling to death in 24hrs?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Well Craig... I don't know! Personally I don't like that "wet moss idea". I did that at the beginning, stuffed moist sphagnum in hides but was quickly picking it all out the very next day. It was messy, they dragged it all over, particles getting in their faces... Nah! Not for me! But I know many people like it and it works well for them. My preference is using sheets of moss that stay put and humidifier to keep air humid but I don't think that's the point. If that moss was at about 80f and our body temp is 96.6... It would naturally feel cool to touch.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Terribly sorry to have just read this sad post of yours.

Hope to hear better news next time.