Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!!

I have a couple of leopard tortoise babies at the moment, and I wanted to show you a picture of how they're set up. It's a bit messy right now because they tramp all over everything and it doesn't stay clean very long:

baby habitat 11-26-14.jpg

I cover the whole thing with cooking foil to keep the cold air from the house out and the warm, moist air in. You can get by with a fairly small tub at first because the tortoises are so small. But as they grow, you need to increase the size of the container. I like to use plastic tubs because they are so much cheaper than aquariums or vivs.

brobrian

Long Beach, Ca
I don't like humidifiers. I prefer to design and build an enclosure that doesn't leak my warm humid air. Like this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
Ok but im getting alot of opinons. I

I have a couple of leopard tortoise babies at the moment, and I wanted to show you a picture of how they're set up. It's a bit messy right now because they tramp all over everything and it doesn't stay clean very long:

View attachment 106583

I cover the whole thing with cooking foil to keep the cold air from the house out and the warm, moist air in. You can get by with a fairly small tub at first because the tortoises are so small. But as they grow, you need to increase the size of the container. I like to use plastic tubs because they are so much cheaper than aquariums or vivs.

View attachment 106583

What substrates do you recommend? coco coir or cypress? how do you clean the flooring? you change it or leave it?

brobrian

Long Beach, Ca
yes spraying them is good. how often do you soak them?
I barely started soaking with warm water? How oftrn u think i should soak them?
yes spraying them is good. how often do you soak them?
will i just started soaking them, how often should i soak them? I got these turtles from my dad at work he was working in desert he got them and just gave them to my sisters but i been taking care of them lol an one baby turtle still has his umblical hole open?

brobrian

Long Beach, Ca
soak them in 80 degree water for 15-30 minutes everyday till they about 8 inches long. tortoises and turtles don't have umbilical cords they have yolk sacks that goes into there shell when they hatch.
View attachment 106636
Oh when i seen the hole it was a little bloody.. i still havent took them to the vet. Does the hole my little turtle has heal?

brobrian

Long Beach, Ca

View attachment 106583

You have plants growing inside lol ?