Baby African Tortoises

brobrian

Location (City and/or State)
Long Beach, Ca
Need help on how to light tortoises and heat. I currently have a little small glass cage or w.e its called. I went to petsmart like a week ago and bought them a glass home which came with a Exo Terra Night-Glo Moonlight A19 Lamp which is suppose to be 24 hours. It just blew out today and replace it with Exo Terra Sun-Glo Basking Spot Lamp. Can that be on 24/? I have it on the left side an i have a another bulb wich is for uv which i leave on for 12 hours which is the right. Please help . Do they need heat at night? I feel its to much money to replace th exo terra night glo moonlight lamp every week?

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
welcome to the forum! torts should sleep in the dark, having a light on a night can damage there eyes. for a night heat source i would recommend a CHE(ceramic heat emitter). posting pics of the enclosure and the tort will help.:)

brobrian

Long Beach, Ca
What species do you have and how small is the glass enclosure? They do need heat at nights,but not with a light being on all night. I am thinking your enclosure is probably way too small. Post pics and more info on your supplies.
Thanks. its like 20in length & 11in wide. Their African spur tortoises

Attachments

• IMAG7139.jpg
    IMAG7139.jpg
    875 KB · Views: 82

brobrian

Long Beach, Ca
welcome to the forum! torts should sleep in the dark, having a light on a night can damage there eyes. for a night heat source i would recommend a CHE(ceramic heat emitter). posting pics of the enclosure and the tort will help.:)
Thanks! I got the uv in the right and light spot light in the left

Attachments

• IMAG7140.jpg
    IMAG7140.jpg
    912.8 KB · Views: 62

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Thanks. its like 20in length & 11in wide. Their African spur tortoises
your tortoises enclosure needs some major changes. 1. sand can cause impaction in there intestines replace it with coco coir. 2. baby sulcatas need 80% humidity in there enclosure, if they don't have humidity there shells will become deformed. 3. separate them, the bigger one will become dominant and harass the smaller one. read this http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

brobrian

Long Beach, Ca
your tortoises enclosure needs some major changes. 1. sand can cause impaction in there intestines replace it with coco coir. 2. baby sulcatas need 80% humidity in there enclosure, if they don't have humidity there shells will become deformed. 3. separate them, the bigger one will become dominant and harass the smaller one. read this http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
Thanks! very much. Will try to do the changes

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Thanks! will do.

Yeah man. Glad you found us. There is nothing right about your current set up except your basking bulb. Take a look at the sulcata section of this board and read everything written by member Tom.

Welcome to tort ownership, they're awesome creatures. Don't take what we say as a personal attack on you. We just want what's best for the torts before the suffer because your lack of tort knowledge. Babies don't have time for you to learn so we'll give you a crash course.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Don't get discouraged, pet stores rarely ever give the right information. stay on this forum, check out the different sections that pertain to your tortoises, and keep asking questions. Welcome to the forum.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask. Just read the care sheet first as they will answer the majority of your questions.

Hermes

Lake Butler, Fl
im really worried about the humidty. Should i get a humidfier?
You shouldn't need to if you get the right type of substrate and cover the tank so that humidity doesn't scape. Go browse the enclosure section and look at closed chambers it will give you some ideas on how to do it some are expensive some are very cheap so there is always a way as long as you are willing to do it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry, I didn't Welcome you, didn't realize this was your first thread. So Hello and Welcome:). At this time of year there are Christmas tree storage boxes for sale. If you wait until after Christmas, the boxes will be on sale if they aren't already. They make a good first enclosure for hatchlings and are fairly cheap. Other big plastic totes are also fairly cheap for enclosures. Once you get the enclosure set up correctly, things will be easier. Don't get discouraged, we have all been in your shoes.
If you cover the enclosure you shouldn't need a humidifier, but even if you got an humidifier, the enclosure would still need to be covered or at least partially.