Attempt at closed chamber (pics)

de0908

Hi all, so I thought I'd post some pics of my rabbit cage / closed chamber conversion and get some opinions. I covered the cage with what is basically a big bin bag and made a flap for the front for easy acces for cleaning, feeding etc. I use strong double back sticky tape to keep the flap closed at the sides. After doing this, I realised that as the bin liner wasn't exactly clear, we couldn't see him anymore lol. To get round this, I cut a window out of the top and one out of the front. I then got some clear acetate, the kind of thing a florist would use to wrap flowers and taped the windows in place. Humidity in the chamber ranges from 88% - 100% and temps go from 88 degrees to 96 degrees. In the chamber, I have him on sterilized soil with a water dish and feeding dish. There is also some sphagnum moss in there which I spray daily to keep the humidity up. He has a little hide as well, the inside of which is sprayed daily also to keep it nice and humid in there. Following on the advice given in @Tom's threads, I am doing my best to keep it nice and warm and humid to replicate the conditions in the wild, also making sure Timmy is sprayed several times a day also. He also gets a daily soak.
So basically wondering if everything looks OK for him at the minute, and any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

cc1.jpg cc3.jpg cc4.jpg cc5.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If the humidity and temps are good then it works for now. However, the water dish needs to be bigger so he can fit inside it.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
View attachment 184494 View attachment 184495 View attachment 184496 View attachment 184497 Hi all, so I thought I'd post some pics of my rabbit cage / closed chamber conversion and get some opinions. I covered the cage with what is basically a big bin bag and made a flap for the front for easy acces for cleaning, feeding etc. I use strong double back sticky tape to keep the flap closed at the sides. After doing this, I realised that as the bin liner wasn't exactly clear, we couldn't see him anymore lol. To get round this, I cut a window out of the top and one out of the front. I then got some clear acetate, the kind of thing a florist would use to wrap flowers and taped the windows in place. Humidity in the chamber ranges from 88% - 100% and temps go from 88 degrees to 96 degrees. In the chamber, I have him on sterilized soil with a water dish and feeding dish. There is also some sphagnum moss in there which I spray daily to keep the humidity up. He has a little hide as well, the inside of which is sprayed daily also to keep it nice and humid in there. Following on the advice given in @Tom's threads, I am doing my best to keep it nice and warm and humid to replicate the conditions in the wild, also making sure Timmy is sprayed several times a day also. He also gets a daily soak.
So basically wondering if everything looks OK for him at the minute, and any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
A very warm welcome to the forum!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi, yeah, I know it's a bit on the small side for him but I'm working on a bigger version for him. Hoping to get him in asap. Just wanted to check that the basics of what I was doing were ok.
Great. Will be waiting for pics.

Bass.Isles

Hey, looks pretty neat! I'm trying to rig up one myself, at the moment. Question, though. This looks taped up pretty securely/tightly, which is good, but how do you get in it to clean up, change water, provide food and what not, without un-taping, then having to re-tape everything? And where did you get the acetate stuff? Can you get it at someplace like Walmart? How do you keep the humidity up? Do you have a humidifier in the room, or in the enclosure? I'm trying to figure out logistics for myself lol.