Ate a piece ReptiBark

EddieMaher

Location (City and/or State)
MD
I gave Frankie a Cuttlebone that he’s been destroying. While I was watching him I saw him pick up a piece of Reptibark and swallow it.

Is this a concern?

29A31D08-200F-47E9-B42A-BEE5C6D16C80.png

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Could be. Could not be. He should be fed on a plate not the substrate. Get a big clay saucer like what you should be using for water and feed on that. Give extra soaks and watery foods like romaine, watermelon, etc until it passes
Also those disc you are using for temp etc is not reliable. You need digital and put it at tortoise height.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I gave Frankie a Cuttlebone that he’s been destroying. While I was watching him I saw him pick up a piece of Reptibark and swallow it.

Is this a concern?

View attachment 367537
No. That is not likely to be any problem at all. It will pass.

The hay on your substrate is likely to be a problem though. Hay will mold and mildew in a damp humid environment, and that is not good. RFs don't eat hay, so there is no point in having that in there.

EddieMaher

MD
Could be. Could not be. He should be fed on a plate not the substrate. Get a big clay saucer like what you should be using for water and feed on that. Give extra soaks and watery foods like romaine, watermelon, etc until it passes
Also those disc you are using for temp etc is not reliable. You need digital and put it at tortoise height.
He’s got a dish. The cuttlebone got moved into the substrate. I think some got on the Reptibark and he wood it done.

I don’t use those discs, in the center of those discs is a Thermo/humidity probe.

EddieMaher

MD
No. That is not likely to be any problem at all. It will pass.

The hay on your substrate is likely to be a problem though. Hay will mold and mildew in a damp humid environment, and that is not good. RFs don't eat hay, so there is no point in having that in there.
Thank you. Hay is for bedding down. Not much in there. He seeks it out to sleep and lay down.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you. Hay is for bedding down. Not much in there. He seeks it out to sleep and lay down.
It needs to be removed ASAP. Its not safe, necessary, or appropriate.

Also, don't use moss. They will eat it and it can cause impaction. I say that incase you were thinking to remove the hay and replace it with moss.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
When I bought some cuddle bone, it had a vertical holder you could screw into a wall. Like what they use for birds to keep it upright.

EddieMaher

MD
When I bought some cuddle bone, it had a vertical holder you could screw into a wall. Like what they use for birds to keep it upright.
I’ll try that. I had no idea he was gonna be so aggressive with it.

EddieMaher

MD
He’s crushing romaine now. I’ll soak him tonight and give home some watermelon tomorrow.