Are these safe ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
First picture is mallow. That is EXCELLENT tortoise food. Mine eat tons of that for about three months of every year here.

I'm not sure of the second plant, but I think it is spurge. I say this only so you can look it up and verify it for sure. Don't take my word for it.

That mallow is going to dry up and die really soon with the warmer weather, so use it up quickly.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
First picture is mallow. That is EXCELLENT tortoise food. Mine eat tons of that for about three months of every year here.

I'm not sure of the second plant, but I think it is spurge. I say this only so you can look it up and verify it for sure. Don't take my word for it.

That mallow is going to dry up and die really soon with the warmer weather, so use it up quickly.
I’m Pretty sure it’s Purslane.

Edit: The Second Picture.

Andrew01

Las Vegas Nevada

So can I pick the mallow now and store it away ?

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Or do I have to leave It in the ground ? I would like to pick it and freeze it or put in a ziplock just don’t know if it will still stay alive or die ?
I put my grape leaves in the fridge, but you could try getting one and place it in the Fridge and see. I’m not sure about Freezing I have never tried that.

Andrew01

Las Vegas Nevada

Is it okay to pull and store in a zip lock and put in the freezer or fridge ? And if so
For how long?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So can I pick the mallow now and store it away ?
I usually cut it and feed it out immediately. I've kept it in the fridge for a day or two, but beyond that, I don't know how long it will keep.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I find mallow keeps about five days in the fridge when stored correctly (loosely in a thin plastic bag with a paper towl), looking a little sad by that time. My tortoise will still happily eat it on day five and in fact will eat it for several days after.

Mallow is a sturdy weed and is likely to freeze better than most plants but generally speaking most plants come out as mush and not very attractive to tortoises.

But why not give it a try right now? First blanch some stems in boiling water for one minute, then let them dry. I’d cut them into manageable pieces and freeze them first on a cookie sheet, so they freeze flat. Then transfer them to a Ziiploc bag for long term storage. In a week, pull some out and see what your tortoise does with it. Let us know.

Most people who want to preserve food dry it in some fashion. For something this thick, probably in a true dehydrator.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
The second photo is indeed purslane. Safe, although your tortoise may not eat it. My Russian will usually have a little in the spring, perhaps because it’s quite juicy. Purslane will keep quite a while in the fridge. I don’t know exactly how long, as I don’t tend to keep anything longer than a week.