Are these okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
I just ordered some seed for Ralph. Are they okay?

chickory
dandelion
orchard grass
timothy
red clover
turnip greens

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
Looks good to me... Where are you ordering from? I know on CarolinaPetSupply.com they have a mix called Grazing tortoise seed mix. 1lb of seeds for like 14 bucks, and it has all those seeds in it plus more. Oh but no dandelion. Check it out for future ordering. Great site, order stuff all the time for my reptiles, ie: food, lighting, supplements.

M

Maggie Cummings

I ordered a s##t load of seeds from Joe 3 years ago when I first moved to Oregon. The first year they came up just insanely...now it's 3 years later and Bob eats the stuff down to the bare ground, and when I take him off of it for a few days it all comes back up thick and lush. We are in the middle of a big storm so Bob hasn't been out there for about 4 days I think...and all that stuff is coming up even tho it's freezing out there. I don't know how Joe makes any money off the seeds, cuz once you plant them they keep coming back and there's no need to buy anymore:p
I planted the Russian tort mix and the grazing tort mix and I added clover and chickory and a few other things that I can't remember now...great stuff

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
Thanks.

I did order from CPS. I noticed the grazing tort seed, but opted to get individual stuff first. I'm going to throw a bunch in Ralph's enclosure and plant some in garden trays so I will have a supply. Also will plant some patches around the back yard for when he's roaming.

I wanted to see how all this grows (speed/quality/tastiness for Ralph) before I order any more. Any other suggestions? I probably should have done this a lot sooner. For some reason, he's not eating as much of the spring mix that I give him. It's almost like he's weaning himself off of it (he's 5 yrs). He is still munching away on the grass, though.

VICtort

5 Year Member
uote='DAC8671' pid='87605' dateline='1257485493']
Thanks.

I did order from CPS. I noticed the grazing tort seed, but opted to get individual stuff first. I'm going to throw a bunch in Ralph's enclosure and plant some in garden trays so I will have a supply. Also will plant some patches around the back yard for when he's roaming.

I wanted to see how all this grows (speed/quality/tastiness for Ralph) before I order any more. Any other suggestions? I probably should have done this a lot sooner. For some reason, he's not eating as much of the spring mix that I give him. It's almost like he's weaning himself off of it (he's 5 yrs). He is still munching away on the grass, though.
[/quote]

Those mixes are fine. You may also want to plant some that are more durable and provide cover. In California, outdoors, I have had success with spineless prickly pear cactus, lavatera/Rose of Sharon, hibiscus if near the coast, Malva neglecta (a common "weed" sometimes called cheese weed) and many others. Some folks say to limit turnips, although high in Ca. is said to be problematic due to plant compounds that restrict Calcium absorption(?). However, I fed my herd a lot of them, they are very easy to grow, and my herd looks great and breed well. Moderation in all things...give them a variety and especially various weeds on the safe list. Good luck,Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.