Are Aldabra tortoise legal in ny?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Actually, the question is not "are they legal?" The question is "will an aldabra be in a healthy environment in upstate NY? Does the climate even come close to what an aldabra can thrive in?"

The answer to both those questions is no. Aldabras thrive in FL, hot and humid. They are really huge, up to 400-500 lbs., so having enough space is another issue. Unusual for tortoises, they also live well together in groups and are social. I think a single aldabra would be lonely, but I am willing to be corrected on that.

Anyway, are you familiar with @ALDABRAMAN He isn't on here very often, but he's the person you should talk to. He has an aldabra breeding program in FL...the easiest way to find him is by joining his Facebook group. It's called Tortoise Talk.

NovaNova11

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Actually, the question is not "are they legal?" The question is "will an aldabra be in a healthy environment in upstate NY? Does the climate even come close to what an aldabra can thrive in?"

The answer to both those questions is no. Aldabras thrive in FL, hot and humid. They are really huge, up to 400-500 lbs., so having enough space is another issue. Unusual for tortoises, they also live well together in groups and are social. I think a single aldabra would be lonely, but I am willing to be corrected on that.

Anyway, are you familiar with @ALDABRAMAN He isn't on here very often, but he's the person you should talk to. He has an aldabra breeding program in FL...the easiest way to find him is by joining his Facebook group. It's called Tortoise Talk.
Thank you so much! Wonderful food for thought, I appreciate it.