Arcadia

Mr. RussianTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
NJ
I've recently been trying to make a new enclosure for my tortoise, and that meant a bigger uvb strip bulb. But when I went to go buy one of the big uvb reptisun strips, they were darn expensive. However, I still needed a big uvb strip. So I went online and did some research and found a cheaper, reliable, well sized, uvb strip. It was called Arcadia. I went on their website but only came across a problem. THERE WERE SO MANY DIFFERENT SIZES, WATTS, TYPES, AND WHATEVER A SHADEDWELLER IS (Freaking out mode :)) I have a russian tort and I know I need a 10.0 uvb strip. Can anyone help me?

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
I've recently been trying to make a new enclosure for my tortoise, and that meant a bigger uvb strip bulb. But when I went to go buy one of the big uvb reptisun strips, they were darn expensive. However, I still needed a big uvb strip. So I went online and did some research and found a cheaper, reliable, well sized, uvb strip. It was called Arcadia. I went on their website but only came across a problem. THERE WERE SO MANY DIFFERENT SIZES, WATTS, TYPES, AND WHATEVER A SHADEDWELLER IS (Freaking out mode :)) I have a russian tort and I know I need a 10.0 uvb strip. Can anyone help me?
I've run smack into the darn expensive wall. I'm spending parts of my days supervising sunbathing tortoises. They also each have a cuttlebone and have some of their meals dusted with calcium D3. I might just do without some things.

I've read the name Arcadia mentioned on here in good ways.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
It's puzzling why Arcadia proT5 Kit is cheaper than ReptiSun. But they make good lightning products, long lasting.

Just a reminder, that you need UVB lights for a few hours a day, matching peak UV hours of a sunny day. So good UVB lamp would last for a couple of years.

And UVB light is not used to light the whole enclosure but just to provide UV at the basking spot, that's why you don't need a long tube. Smallest 22" will be sufficient (they provide the same UV level per inch as longer ones).

Be careful *not* to get T8 lamp instead of T5 HO (high output). And check that you get a lamp with a fixture.

P.S. - ShadeDweller lamps are for reptile species, who have low UVB requirements and are not keen of bright light (usually habitants of lower levels of dense forests). It could be used for Redfoots or Yellowfoots and some species of Hingebacks, for example. For other species you have literally mount these lamps on tortoises back to provide acceptable UV level.