Apple head chihuahua...Are they Stupid?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The title sounds like a joke, but I'm dead serious.
I had two chihuahuas in my life. The last one, Chester, died last year. He was almost 15 years old and SO smart.
He was house broken in less than a month and seemed to understand very easily as he was being trained what I expected from him. he was a larger "Deer head" variety and came in at about 8-9 pounds.
The new one is Suki. She is a seven month old, two pound apple head with the soft spot on her head and two protruding teeth. Both typical from what I've seen and heard. But are they generally a less intelligent breed?
She is very sweet and happy and healthy, but no more intelligent than a slice of cheese.
At 7 months she is still as likely to do her "Business" inside the house as outside. I have given her training treats as rewards and am very patient outside with her. She will walk the yard for EVER and then come inside the house and poo, etc.
I show her what she did and lock her in a partitioned area as punishment, but she seems to not know that it's punishment. When she does act scolded, it's clear that she is confused as to why I'm scolding her.
With all the other crap going on in my life at the moment, she is making me nuts.
I dream about drop kicking her over my fence. But she is too small and delicate to even wack on the butt.
I have limited options for discipline and am nearing the end as far as trying new things.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
animals bred to be so small are prone to many health problems, usually heart defects but can also have water on the brain, or other problems. If you can't deal with this little dog, maybe you need to rehome her.

tylerfitz420

5 Year Member
East Greenbush, NY
I had a really hard time with my Pom. The only thing that finally worked was taking him out hourly, praise and treat when he did go and completely ignoring when he did go in the house.
Took about 2 weeks of this before he got the hang of it. Hope this helps.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I don't believe she has health problems from being so small. She really sounds like a normal small dog to me. Chi's are actually one of the healthier of the little guys.

I've worked in small dog rescue for years. Rarely are very small breeds reliable with house training before a year old. Just be patient and consistent. She'll get it eventually. Seven months is very young still.

It's my favorite breed, btw. So I'd be happy to take her off your hands....lol.

Whatever you do, please no punishment and no physical punishment at all! Praise, consistency, patience. This breed can be ruined so easily.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Lisa127. Many small breeds take a lot longer then the norm. Of course there can always be the odd ball that gets it quickly. When you do take her out to do her business, no playing, no attention. Keep it boring while you keep telling her to go potty. Stay out until she goes. Then once she has gone, give her a treat, praise and then some play time. Take her out after she gets up from sleeping, after she eats and drinks and even after she has had some play time. The only dogs that I have known, only 2, that didn't potty train, well it was the fault of the human. I totally understand your frustration. The dog can feel your frustration and this too can be a part of the problem. Take deep breaths and keep calm. When she potties inside. I always put them by it, so they can smell it, tell them a stern NO and put her outside for a few minutes. Don't expect her to go at this time, as she just has. Keep in mind, the smaller the dog, the small the bladder, less it can hold. It will take a lot of time, but I think it can be done. The bigger problem will be if you don't have the time.
Good luck and keep us updated.
Btw, did the breeder take them potty outside or use pee pads. I see more training problems when breeders get lazy and use the pee pads. Also shelter dogs that don't get the option to potty outside can take longer to get it too.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
The "breeder" was an old, single retired man that let the adults and the pups pee and crap all over his porch and carport and fed them only chicken hot dogs.
She didn't have the best start in life.
She is very sweet natured
I would never actually abuse my animals. I'm just blowing off some steam.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hey Ed, bring her to my Mom! She lives in Lighthouse Point and has been DYING to get little chihuahua. Her last dog (black lab) died few years ago and she hasn't been brave enough to get one since, but I know she NEEDS IT! And small enough to bring on the plane when she travels to Texas (to me) or Kansas (my brother's). Mom couldn't resist Suki! I know it!

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
I am afflicted with three chihuahuas. As you probably know Apple head, deer head is pretty much marketing. They are just chihuahuas. Maybe like "blonde"leopard tortoises.
Intelligence wise they are all over the map. Some are very smart and some are as you put it smart as a slice of cheese:) Some are easily house broken and some really don't want to leave the house for "any" reason.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know anything about little chi's, but just wanted to say, when I take Misty out to do her business, I just stand there with my arms crossed or with my hands in my pockets, watching her. I don't interact with her at all, just stand there like a tree. She eventually does her business and we immediately go back inside.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Notice the belly band.....lol.
12885853_10209360054543365_5296263650968360765_o.jpg my baby....I wish he would live forever. Don't know what I'll do without him. As you can see, he is wearing g a belly band. He was a rescue dog from a shelter. He tries but this belly band helps.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I will keep my personal opinion about Chis to myself. but regarding potty training when I first started with both of my dogs both small breeds I took them out every hour on the hour until bedtime and then every couple of days I increased it to two hours to three hours and so on and so on till they were going out twice a day only seemed to work pretty good. oh yes lots of praise and treats after they did the deed.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I had two chihuahuas in my life. The last one, Chester, died last year. He was almost 15 years old and SO smart.
He was house broken in less than a month and seemed to understand very easily as he was being trained what I expected from him. he was a larger "Deer head" variety and came in at about 8-9 pounds.
The new one is Suki. She is a seven month old, two pound apple head with the soft spot on her head and two protruding teeth. Both typical from what I've seen and heard. But are they generally a less intelligent breed?
She is very sweet and happy and healthy, but no more intelligent than a slice of cheese.
At 7 months she is still as likely to do her "Business" inside the house as outside. I have given her training treats as rewards and am very patient outside with her. She will walk the yard for EVER and then come inside the house and poo, etc.
I show her what she did and lock her in a partitioned area as punishment, but she seems to not know that it's punishment. When she does act scolded, it's clear that she is confused as to why I'm scolding her.
With all the other crap going on in my life at the moment, she is making me nuts.
I dream about drop kicking her over my fence. But she is too small and delicate to even wack on the butt.
I have limited options for discipline and am nearing the end as far as trying new things.

You know, they are likely just like us humans....there is a sliding scale for "smarts" in all species....likely where the phrase "survival of the fittest" came into play.....some dogs are just oblivious to life and others are a little more in tune...perhaps you can invest in concrete floors....they are very nice now a days....:p

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Oh and don't feel bad...my uncle once had a Chihuahua and that was the only dog that ever generated the image of a football in my mind too....a few times, even though we would never do it...I feel for you man....

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
I don't know how things are in your country but here a lot of health problems are associated with the chihuahua breed. Among others is water in their brains, recognised by protruding eyes, a fontanel which is not closed (just as in babies, probably what you describe as a 'soft spot' on the head). All due to extreme breeding towards the ideal of a small dog with an extreme rounded head and big eyes. I wouldn't be surprised if these dogs were also less intelligent.

But hey, just let him take his time!

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
I don't know how things are in your country but here a lot of health problems are associated with the chihuahua breed. Among others is water in their brains, recognised by protruding eyes, a fontanel which is not closed (just as in babies, probably what you describe as a 'soft spot' on the head). All due to extreme breeding towards the ideal of a small dog with an extreme rounded head and big eyes. I wouldn't be surprised if these dogs were also less intelligent.

This is what i have always been told by the vet in my area. When they are bred to be too small, health problems are common. and i am in the USA

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area

Oh wow! I had no idea about hydrocephalus in this breed! Very interesting. But if that's the case that may make perfect sense that poor little Suki is to some degree mentally developmentally retarded. She'll come around and get it eventually. I have couple of friends who have rescued special needs dogs, 2 of them I swear are very "slow", but my friends don't try to train them, teach the tricks, or anything like that. They just love them and you know what? After a while those 2 dogs have become the sweetest, the most loving pets I've ever seen. My friends say that they wouldn't have it any other way. I just hope that little Suki is physically healthy. She sure is precious!!!

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
You will never succeed by punishment , rewarding good behavior when it is done (like when she poops where you want her to) will work a lot better . Lavish them with praise when they do well , treats don't hurt either ! Once she sees what pleases you , and what she is rewarded for she will be anxious to do the things that please you . All "punishment" will get you is confusion and fear ! :)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
This is what i have always been told by the vet in my area. When they are bred to be too small, health problems are common. and i am in the USA
They should be bred to their standard size to be healthy. If bred to be extra small even for a chi, that is when you get health problems.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio

Yes, they are known for that issue. But compared to the toy breeds with the flat faces, bug eyes, etc. They are pretty healthy otherwise.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
You will never succeed by punishment , rewarding good behavior when it is done (like when she poops where you want her to) will work a lot better . Lavish them with praise when they do well , treats don't hurt either ! Once she sees what pleases you , and what she is rewarded for she will be anxious to do the things that please you . All "punishment" will get you is confusion and fear ! :)
Yes. I agree.
If she has no idea why I'm angry, it just frightens her for no reason.