Anyone know what this weed is?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
that's wild strawberry. My box turtles eat it if they're very hungry, but usually they leave it alone.

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
Actually that's not a true strawberry. That's Duchesna indica, or Indian Mock Strawberry. It isn't poisonous, but its tastes is insipid. I find it very invasive in Santa Cruz County, CA, where I have a house. It volunteered into my vegetable garden where I have real strawberries and had virtually crowded them out.

Wild strawberries while similarly small are very tasty and any self respecting tortoise would likely not refuse them.

They're all in the rose family and I'm not familiar with any toxic plants in that family. Famous last words...

Doug

Jenblalock003

Actually that's not a true strawberry. That's Duchesna indica, or Indian Mock Strawberry. It isn't poisonous, but its tastes is insipid. I find it very invasive in Santa Cruz County, CA, where I have a house. It volunteered into my vegetable garden where I have real strawberries and had virtually crowded them out.

Wild strawberries while similarly small are very tasty and any self respecting tortoise would likely not refuse them.

They're all in the rose family and I'm not familiar with any toxic plants in that family. Famous last words...

Doug

Hi Doug! Thank you for all the info. So should I limit how much I feed it to them? I think they like it bc it's red and new. I just don't want to feed then something if it will end up being bad for them.

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
Shouldn't be a problem if they like it. However there are more knowledgeable members regarding your tortoises needs as to appropriate food types.