anyone in the Phoenix area?

Panedora

Anyone else in phoenix area? its not going to get too cold here but will they get in soaking pools in the winter here? should i give her another source of water when its to cold to get in her pool?

jskahn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wickenburg, AZ
I am very surprised that nobody in Phoenix got in touch with you yet. When she drinks, it will be during the day, so it will never be frozen, I assume that you have a desert tortoise, or a Sulcata. Please give us more info. If it is a Sulcata, either she will need a heated house or brought inside at night. A desert tortoise, I am not sure of which is best. I would want to have a den, where it could hibernate.Hopefully someone who has a desert, will answer your question.

Panedora

No i have a Sulcata, she lives in the house atm because she was an emergency rescue. We dug her a pool actually she has two pools and sleep inside at night however last few days has stayed inside due to construction. We are having a heated habitat built for her in 2 weeks.

jskahn

5 Year Member
Wickenburg, AZ
I think she should be fine as long as she is inside when the weather is too cool. I live in Wickenburg, and raised a Sulcata for 17 years outside, with an Igloo type dog house, that had a pig blanket( special heat pad) on the bottom. He went inside every night, but I would check to make sure he did.On the few freezing nights, I would put a board across the front of the dog house just in case.

Panedora

oh that would be an easy fix, she likes coming inside at night she sleep at the corner of my bed on the floor by where i sleep lol.. i hope it wont be to hard to break her if that

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
Anyone else in phoenix area? its not going to get too cold here but will they get in soaking pools in the winter here? should i give her another source of water when its to cold to get in her pool?
I would say provide her a different water source for drinking and soaking. The water will need to be warm to keep her temp up.

jskahn

5 Year Member
Wickenburg, AZ
I would say provide her a different water source for drinking and soaking. The water will need to be warm to keep her temp up.
I disagree, as long as the water is the about the same temp as the air, it should be fine. To me, warm water in cool air does not make sense.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know why a person would need to be in AZ to answer this...

I just leave drinking water out all year. Its temperature varies with the outside temps. If I soak them in winter, I wait for a warm sunny day and use warm water for the soak. My temps are similar to Phoenix most of the year, but you guys cool off in fall later and warm up in spring earlier. I also tend to have cooler night temps in summer.

Panedora

I don't know why a person would need to be in AZ to answer this...

I just leave drinking water out all year. Its temperature varies with the outside temps. If I soak them in winter, I wait for a warm sunny day and use warm water for the soak. My temps are similar to Phoenix most of the year, but you guys cool off in fall later and warm up in spring earlier. I also tend to have cooler night temps in summer.
well it wasn't just a question about water i was looking to see if anyone in phz had them for future questions, or just to say hi.....