Anyone here who keep all types of cuora?

juli11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Europe
I'm thinking about cuora amboinensis.. But I'm undecided which subspecies.. So is here anyone who keeps all four subspecies?

Turtlepete

South Florida
Do you have a source selling sub-species-specific C. amboinensis? Here in the U.S, locale-specific animals are offered occasionally (i.e., Seram Island is one I saw recently), that seem to vary in coloration, body and head shape, but nothing drastic. I would doubt that the whole complex of C. amboinensis is even properly identified. There are likely more sub-species than have been identified. Four are recognized currently, I think, but the outlook of finding properly identified sub-species to me seems like a longshot.
You may want to factor in how aquatic you want to keep them as well. Some ssp. may be more aquatic/terrestrial then others.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Do you have a source selling sub-species-specific C. amboinensis? Here in the U.S, locale-specific animals are offered occasionally (i.e., Seram Island is one I saw recently), that seem to vary in coloration, body and head shape, but nothing drastic. I would doubt that the whole complex of C. amboinensis is even properly identified. There are likely more sub-species than have been identified. Four are recognized currently, I think, but the outlook of finding properly identified sub-species to me seems like a longshot.
You may want to factor in how aquatic you want to keep them as well. Some ssp. may be more aquatic/terrestrial then others.

Sorry I don't understand your first question :-D

Yes I know that's everywhere the same with the subspecies they're mixed up when they imported. It like Russians.. But here sometimes you can get the subspecies which aren't mixed up.. Normally you can get C.a. kamaoma, amboinensis and cuoro (difficult). And you're right I think too that there are many more subspecies of amboinensis. This species have a very big habitat also they live on isolated island so there must be more subspecies.
I spoke with some friends and they say sometimes it's not depend on the subspecies the characters of the turtles can decided what they prefer as habitat- land or water- I hope you understand what I mean..

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1424050506.616993.jpg

Can the plastron tell them apart ?
They do varies .

Will make a more recent picture in a couple of days !

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1424516733.061298.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1424516787.126276.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1424516831.761553.jpg

Looks the same from above but shape of carapace varies !!

These 2 from different part of Borneo . ( from different habitat maybe - adaptation maybe )

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1424517237.142807.jpg

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Sorry for the late answer no sorry I'm not an expert of amboinensis so I can't tell you the differences..
But I'm still thinking that amboinensis have minimum 10 different subspecies not only three that's not enough for an turtle kind which live in so many isolated Indonesia islands!

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
Sorry for the late answer no sorry I'm not an expert of amboinensis so I can't tell you the differences..
But I'm still thinking that amboinensis have minimum 10 different subspecies not only three that's not enough for an turtle kind which live in so many isolated Indonesia islands!

Thanks for the reply , I am no expert either just learn thru experiences .

I do keep many C.amboinensis from many location . And i agree that that should be much more than the published few sub-species !

But this specie is much neglected . I have seen hundreds being collected and offered for sale for as low as usd 1 per piece in local wet market .

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Very interesting species! ! !

I wish we can get a dollar a torts here also.