1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

anyone have a pond in their enclosure?

Discussion in 'Sulcata tortoises' started by SGT Fish, Sep 13, 2017.

1. SGT Fish

SGT Fish Member

since I moved to my new place, I can finally build a totally permanent enclosure for my 40-60lb sulcata Frank. Right now I have a concrete mixing tub that I buried and fill with water for him to drink/soak it, though I haven't seen him go all the way in yet, he isn't as big a fan of soaking as he is just getting sprayed with the hose. I am wanting to put a pond in the enclosure but am worried about him drowning. I haven't had him in deep enough water to see if he floats and don't want to start digging without hearing some experience first. I keep some minnows/goldfish in the tub now to take care of the bugs but I'll probably throw some other fish in if I build the pond in there. Im not 100% dead set on putting a pond there, but it is an ideal location cuz I can run the gutters from the garage to it so it stays full and I wont have to worry about him not having water available, and my duck would probably like it too.

thanks, its been a while since I posted last
  2. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 5 Year Member Platinum Supporter

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    If you make it with sloping sides, so it's a gradual thing, he'll use it. The cement mixing tub is too steep, he has no idea how deep the water is beyond the lip. The sloping sides means it will have to be pretty big.
  3. mike taylor

mike taylor Well-Known Member

Why yes I do ! I built this pond with 8_10 bags of cement. Sloped sides and about 8 inches deep . They will drink out of it . But if I run the hose in it they go in . I clean it every other day . I just sweep it out with a push boom . Monthly I scrub it with a light bleach and a scrub brush.

1505327966459.jpg
    MichaelS and Brendelwood like this.
  4. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 5 Year Member Platinum Supporter

This is the one I made for my box turtles:

( My grand daughter bought me a Kindle Tablet for Christmas and I typed the above line on my Kindle before I remembered I have to be on the computer to be able to pull up my pictures. When I came back to it on my computer, it read, "This is the one I mastectomy for my box turtles:" Needless to say, I went online and asked my friend Google how to disable auto correct on my Kindle. It is now fixed!)

box turtle pond a.jpg box turtle pond b.jpg box turtle pond c.jpg

In the first shot it's just the empty pond. The second shot has a little ornate box turtle submerged in the center, and the last shot shows a box turtle climbing out the side. You want to dig the shape/hole slightly bigger than you want to end up with, because of the thickness of the cement. I just mixed up a bag of ready mix and spread it around over the hole with my hand. I tried to leave it with a rough finish to give them purchase when climbing in and out. It would have to be a lot bigger for a sulcata.
    Brendelwood likes this.
  5. mike taylor

mike taylor Well-Known Member

Here's a better picture of it . My 24 inch sulcata Harry walking over to take a sip or not .
    1505344146329.jpg
    Big Charlie likes this.