Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Columbine

It's interesting to note that I have a few 'volunteers' of this plant coming up this year and I've NEVER had columbine planted here in the past.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Columbine

It's interesting to note that I have a few 'volunteers' of this plant coming up this year and I've NEVER had columbine planted here in the past.
Thanks Yvonne. Same bird must have flown over mine and your house dropping seeds. :D

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It's in the ranaculus family, which are listed as a do not feed in the tortoise table. I have a Russian and they eat quit a bit of that plant family in their native diet so I'd *personally* give it a try.

Can't speak to its appropriateness for other species.

You're both lucky to have it, it's beautiful. @Yvonne G , maybe it blew in with all the rain this year?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Is it from the same family as this plant. I have these growing all over the place in all-sorts of colors. Someone told me they were toxic, my redfoots will eat them to the ground if given the chance.
IMG_20170506_154022.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Columbine, i have them here on north side if the house. Started with one plant years ago and now they are all over. Pretty spring time bloomer but wanna say, should keep it away from the torts

Pearly

5 Year Member
Columbine

They reseed very very easily. My neighbors grow them due to wind/birds spreading seed to their gardens

Pearly

5 Year Member
Is it from the same family as this plant. I have these growing all over the place in all-sorts of colors. Someone told me they were toxic, my redfoots will eat them to the ground if given the chance.
View attachment 206715
Craig I don't know my plants like Rosemary does but I suspect the original color of the columbine was yellow (yellow grows all over in Texas called Texas Columbine, considered one of Texas Natives for environment friendly gardening). All the other colors are probably result of people hybridizing/crosspollination, gmo...whatevers in order to get more variety. I have bought some of the varieties ;blues, reds, maroon, chocolate, white) and after few year later all the colors are gone and once again all i have is yellow!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
To be clear, I am not recommending this as tortoise food; it's related to some pretty toxic stuff!
(I think it's clear but better safe than sorry!)