Any hatchling advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Make sure yolk sac/area remains sterile and clean....also a soft substrate at this time helps with non abrasion rubbing on this spot. If extra large yolk sac....crumpled wet paper towels help support the little guy ( until absorption) Keep humidity high 80-90 and temps along the same lines. Allow for soft , dark hiding spot. Low light levels ....no need for direct basking type lighting at this point. Soak daily , keep well hydrated. After about 4-7 days your new little one may be ready for his first " real food" . Try small samples of your favo mix...
By the end of the first week or so the yolk sack will be absorbed and a nice healing and Harding will develop in this area.
~CONGRADS~
Enjoy you new little one!
JD~:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Kinda like what JD said, but in my own words:

I use plastic shoe boxes. I leave the lids on, but drill 4 ventilation holes near the top, but on the sides, not the lid. I line them with damp paper towels and I put some greens and their rinsed eggshell in there with them. They often eat greens and their eggshell even when their yolk sac is still protruding. I keep the box somewhere warm and give them a daily quick soak, while I change out the paper towels and greens. After about a week, they are ready to move into a normal enclosure.

Be sure to keep your temps warm day and night, soak daily, offer a humid hide and try to make the enclosure pretty humid. The first few weeks of growth are the most critical and will set the pattern of growth for the rest of their lives.

princessdreamsxxx

5 Year Member
Thankyou everything you have stated I am already doing and today I crushed the eggshell after washing and mixed with food already I did not know wether I was too early but by the last comment I am doing ok the egg yolk has nearly healed quite quickly I thought but it's not bulging it's just flat to his/ her shell now I have noticed the shell is not perfectly domed tho this was like this when hatched should I be concerned? It's domed but not perfect thankyou for the advice I just wanted to make sure I did not miss anything do I need to worry about uv lighting this early?

Status
Not open for further replies.