New baby - small deformity. Any info or advice?

JourneyN15

Number 2 hatched early this morning. It is vigorous and seems strong and oh so cute! It has a shell deformity I wanted y'all to see. I certainly hope it won't cause her problems. Any information or advice on how you think she'll do and anyone else with a tortoise with the same type issue? Thank you in advance!
IMG_2555 - Copy (480x640).jpg IMG_2556 - Copy (480x640).jpg IMG_2564 - Copy (360x640).jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Shell deformity? Are you talking about the yolk on the underside? That's not a deformity. That's the egg yolk that has fed the baby during the incubation process. It usually absorbs before they hatch, but quite often it doesn't. No big deal. It will continue to absorb and eventually you'll be left with a tiny spot where it used to be.

JourneyN15

Thank you for reading! @Yvonne G There's a small piece of shell missing just to the left of the tail. I felt it, and it's skin/flesh. I'll post a closer up photo so it will show up better. Thank you all for help. :)
IMG_2564 (2).jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ah...I see it now. That's shouldn't be a problem.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Thank you for reading! @Yvonne G There's a small piece of shell missing just to the left of the tail. I felt it, and it's skin/flesh. I'll post a closer up photo so it will show up better. Thank you all for help. :)
View attachment 164166

That skin feel may harden in time. No major organ exposed; so I think it's all fine. Let us know if it begins to harden over the next few months. I'd be interested in knowing. Thanks.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
That's unique. It doesn't look like it should really be a big deal though. Keep us updated with growth photos, I am very interested!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think if this were a wild tortoise he might encounter some vulnerability when fighting, with no protection in that area, but as a "tame" tortoise, no. I've seen many, many chewed box turtles with more shell than that missing and it didn't present any problems for the turtles.

JourneyN15

The short skirt comments. lol
Thank you all for the feedback. I'll update with photos as she grows.:)