Any doctor here

Mina Adel

I gave my 200g Egyptian tortoise amoxicillin 1000mg as an antibiotic
But it was overdose
He has severe viscous diahrria smells like the drug.
Any help to do ?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
But it was overdose
Any help to do ?
Omg! Mina, what's going on? Why antibiotic? I haven't seen your posts recently, was hoping you were getting things under control

Rue

Canada
Yes...very true. But sometimes the situation might warrant a different approach.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Im not sure about these doses but 1000 mg sounds like a lot . When my tortoise had worms, the medication and food mix only filled up a very small part of the syringe.
Please do not try to treat your tortoises. I thought if you did you would do very small doses as to not overdose them.
If they have very bad worms, give them a SMALL dose. Even if it doesnt make it all go away, SOME worms will die from the medicine.
This is just a guess though. I could be wrong about the small dose killing a small amount of the worms.
I hope youre still soaking the tortoises.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Im not sure about these doses but 1000 mg sounds like a lot . When my tortoise had worms, the medication and food mix only filled up a very small part of the syringe.
Please do not try to treat your tortoises. I thought if you did you would do very small doses as to not overdose them.
If they have very bad worms, give them a SMALL dose. Even if it doesnt make it all go away, SOME worms will die from the medicine.
This is just a guess though. I could be wrong about the small dose killing a small amount of the worms.
I hope youre still soaking the tortoises.
OP worries about having OD'ed with Amoxicillin (antibiotic) and not the deworming medicine

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
But it was overdose
Any help to do ?
Mina, even in humans amoxicillin can cause diarrhoea.

It's not necessarily a sign of overdose. It's just that it destroys the good bacteria in the gut as well as the harmful.

With humans we would be advised to eat pro-biotic or live yoghurt to help the gut recover. You cannot and MUST NOT do this with your tort.

I would do as Yvonne suggests and do lots of soaks and make sure that you are feed a healthy high fiber diet.

I know you are trying to do your best for these torts, but you are playing very dangerous games guessing at doses of antibiotic (and worming medication) especially when you don't even know if these medications are suitable for your torts. Antibiotics are designed to kill particular bacteria - the one you are giving may well not be the correct one for the health problems your tort has and thus be completely useless.

Tortoises are resilient animals. The fact they have lasted so long in your care demonstrates this. I would never normally suggest this, but these are native animals in a bad way. A large part of me is thinking that they would do better if you were to drive out into the countryside and release them in an unpopulated area with a reasonable quantity of plant cover. Not all at once, a couple at a time, then repeat a couple of weeks later.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Tortoises are resilient animals. The fact they have lasted so long in your care demonstrates this. I would never normally suggest this, but these are native animals in a bad way. A large part of me is thinking that they would do better if you were to drive out into the countryside and release them in an unpopulated area with a reasonable quantity of plant cover. Not all at once, a couple at a time, then repeat a couple of weeks later.

Native or not, releasing potentially sick animals into the wild is never a good idea.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
OP worries about having OD'ed with Amoxicillin (antibiotic) and not the deworming medicine
Ohhh, i thought she was still having the worming problem. Nevermind, i wouldnt try with antibiotics at all
Thanks for clearing that up

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
while i've never used amoxicillin on my turtles , that is about the dosage for a 100lb plus dog ......... my thought is you really need to find yourself a vet ....... i[ve found one through a local reptile dealer , another through the local zoo , and another through one of my dogs vets ...... i may be wrong but i seriously doubt there is not an exotic animal vet in egypt ........

and i whole heartedly agree , never release a captive kept animal , even an apparent healthy one .........

Last edited:

Pearly

5 Year Member
Mina, I've reviewed couple of your threads, and my conclusion is that if you CAN't find suitable homes for those animals where they can be properly cared for, and they HAVE TO stay with you, you might do best by just providing them with the basics (proper enclosures with suitable bedding, heat/humidity, proper diet, fresh water, and daily soaking in warm water. And NOTHING ELSE. No deworming, no antibiotics, no guessing what to use next on those poor animals. Just let them be. If with your PROPER care some are just too weak/too sick, then so be it. They'll be better off that way, and so will you, and so will the remaining animals in your care. Just please, please, don't try to guess what chemicals and how much to use on them without a qualified diagnosis of the problem and professional plan of care (done by the Veterinarian!) Whatever happened to rehoming them. I thought you had decided that you didn't have the means to do it and would find new homes for them.

surfergirl

Maybe there is a animal preservation organization that could help. They could care for them properly and offer them a permanent sanctuary so that they could be outside in their native environment but not mixed back in with wild torts.

If you continue to try to keep them. please work on the sanitary part of your enclosures. House each one separate. Clean everything in the pens every day with a tad bit of some type of animal safe cleaner. fresh water two times a day. no old food left in the enclosure, clean up all poop immediate, make sure the parasites and germs cannot continue to spread and inhabit their enclosures. this is key to giving the tort a chance to beat them. You have the right climate for them outside so if you can setup something out there that would be the best for them. the parasites(worms) / bacteria have natural predators in the outdoor environment which helps to keep their numbers down as well. Try to find scraps of wood, plastic bins, or something to make their enclosures out of. If you truly care for them you have to find a way to get them all back on track. They are resillent animals if provided their natural environment when being kept in captivity. They will get over many illnesses/ Parasites without any drugs or chemicals if you just provide them the basic needs they get from their environment.
Please do more research on their needs and provide them with that.
If you continue to not being able to offer them what they need please find an organization who can take them and give them the care they need.

one day when you have the resources to provide them proper care you can always get another tortoise and feel good about providing a great home for it.

Mina Adel

Thank you all.
He is much better now.
It was drug induced diarrhea.
They are worms free now.
But they really took large doses 100mg mebendazol once every 2 days for 3 times.
If someone able to donate a book for me. I will be grateful.

Mina Adel

Did you separate your tortoises like you said you were going to do?
I separated them into 4 groups of 5 members each.
But that made many problems.
I rehomed 4 of them and reunited them again to treat worms. Now. I am considering to rehome some. And separate the rest in 7 membered 2 groups.
I will do a second floor. And many hiding placing. If you can help me with ideas for setting up hiding places