Safest Antibiotic for Leopards

J.P.

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
hi guys.

one of my leopards developed RNS. most of the cases I read about, the tortoise is acting normal (eating and active). i think mine is serious since he will not eat.

as a remedy, temps have been rised by minimum of 5 degrees all around, it has been 5 days and there is little improvement. temps are now at: cool side 80F, basking at 105, night temps are 85. i increased warm soaks from twice a day to three times a day, water temp was also increased from 80 to 90.

vet told me to bring it in for antibiotics if conditions do not improve in 5 days after raising temps. it will be day 5 tomorrow. vet is planning to use marbofloxacin. is it an effective/safe drug for leopards? i know baytril is bad, and marbofloxacin is in the same family so i want to hear sound advice. the vet is open to suggestion, so if you can recommend another type of antibiotic, it will be appreciated. i am hoping for a drug that is mild on tortoise but very harsh on germs.

vet has no facility to perform a culture to properly ID the germ, so he is going for a dose of wide spectrum drug.

i would like to avoid injections as much as possible, so if you can recommend a good oral anitbiotic, then it will be even better.

the tortoise is 3.75 inches and weights 180 grams(empty). i do not know the exact age.

thanks.

J.P.

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Thanks Yvone.

There was considerable progress so injections did not push though. Eating now but still has RNS. I hope it continues to heal w/o injections. We have another week to track the progress. Taking note of Fortaz just in case it's needed (i hope not).