Another tort?

SeleneeNicole

5 Year Member
I'm scared my Hermann has been feeling lonely. Since when I got her she was with other tortoises I'm concerned that she isn't as happy. I'm not sure of her age because I got her at pet smart. Could it be that she is just hibernating? I'm not sure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Tortoises don't hang out in groups. They are territorial and as such, they live alone. When another tortoise comes into their territory, they chase it away, fighting aggressively. Your tortoise is not lonely. If he's acting stressed out it might be because he's in a new environment. It sometimes takes them several weeks to settle down and realize that they are safe and that this is now their new territory.

Laura Currado

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oakland County, MI
We had a female tortoise who seemed lonely too. My husband found a male and I was an easy target for that opportunity. Now, Gretchen chases Henry around all day, strategically tipping him over. Or, he chases her around all day...walking on his back legs as his front try to hold on to her back.
Think hard before you do this; it may necessitate two enclosures one day. Our Gretchen was raised by three young girls who always played with her so she came to us as an absolute, spoiled sweety. If she wanted anything, it was our attention or for us to take her outside or for us to give her a treat...not the harassment of a sex-starved "teenager".