Another new box turtle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
zone 7b
feb2012061.jpg

I got another large pair of these cistoclemys picturata also. This species was just discovered to still exist in the wild last year. Up until then it was known only from the markets, and hadn't been seen there since about 2004.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I read the article on these - amazing find. And also amazing that for so long, no one even knew what the home range was. Have to give a lot of credit to those that scour the markets for finds like this and do all the hard bureaucratic work to set up assurance colonies of these animals. Hats off to you as well, I hope you have the best of luck with them!

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
oh that face...it looks so kissable!!!(if ya dare..lol).....mesmerizing!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
What a face! Congratulations, hope you have a blast!

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
thanksgivin2011103.jpg

I hope my original pair from 2008 produces some ova this year. The female did nest in 2009 though the eggs were not viable.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
terryo said:
Cute??? These little Box Turtles can't be found anywhere.....I'm saving my change now. :D:D

wow I wasn't aware that they were so rare..Although I have to admit I haven't seen them before, not that that means anything..lol...I hope eggs come and hatch...are these type almost extinct?..( idk)
are they chinese box turtles?..or what??

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
jojodesca said:
terryo said:
Cute??? These little Box Turtles can't be found anywhere.....I'm saving my change now. :D:D

wow I wasn't aware that they were so rare..Although I have to admit I haven't seen them before, not that that means anything..lol...I hope eggs come and hatch...are these type almost extinct?..( idk)
They are often called flowerback box turtles. Little more than a decade ago large numbers were available very cheap. Most of these did not survive captivity. Look up Asian turtle crisis.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Benjamin said:
jojodesca said:
terryo said:

They are often called flowerback box turtles. Little more than a decade ago large numbers were available very cheap. Most of these did not survive captivity. Look up Asian turtle crisis.

thankks!..i'll look them up.....hope you get a good clutch soon

http://www.turtlepuddle.org/cuora/galbinifrons.html

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I'm thinking if raised from a hatchling, in a heavily planted vivarium, with some moist leaf litter.......hmmmm. Let me know when you have any hatchlings for sale. :D

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
terryo said:
I'm thinking if raised from a hatchling, in a heavily planted vivarium, with some moist leaf litter.......hmmmm. Let me know when you have any hatchlings for sale. :D
thanksgivin2011109.jpg

The C.bouretti do well as you decribe. I had a hard time letting this guy go to his new home last month.:(
I'll let you know when I have any surplus. The first 3 go to another assurance colony, so it likely will give you time to save.

M

Maggie Cummings

What an amazing face!!! Why don't you give some information to those of us who don't know anything about this species of box turtles???

Status
Not open for further replies.