Aloe vera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
I bought some aloe to plant in everyone's indoor enclosures. Day one, Brains has mowed down half his plant :( . Tank ate a few nibbles and tootsie roll hasn't eaten any.

Is it ok for Brains to have this much? I thought he would just take a nibble here and there. The tortoise table says it feed in moderation, should I take it out?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know what the elders LOL will say, but when I have a plant that has that kind of rating, I don't put it in with him to help himself. My Leo loves Xmas cactus, but has the same rating, so I have to keep it out and feed it to him:(. That's just what I do anyway.

Will be interesting to see who admits to being the elders LOL

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Madkins advised me not to give it to Alan but someone else said it was ok ....best to avoid?

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
My Russians love it, I have all kinds of it around, of several different varieties. Some is in the ground but most in pots. Every now and then a pot will get knocked over and they will plow through it. I never worry about it.
You will notice that I am avoiding completely the "elders" comment...

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
kanalomele said:
My Russians love it, I have all kinds of it around, of several different varieties. Some is in the ground but most in pots. Every now and then a pot will get knocked over and they will plow through it. I never worry about it.
You will notice that I am avoiding completely the "elders" comment...

This makes me feel better, especially after he ate so much of it. I really didn't think he would pig out on it and I have seen it in others enclosures. I probably won't be replacing it though...lol

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Alan RF said:
Madkins advised me not to give it to Alan but someone else said it was ok ....best to avoid?

To clarify- I said *I* do not use it, and that is only because I cannot find nutritional data on the leaves. It may be perfectly OK, but it IS a member of the generally suspect lily family (which is not automatically a bad thing, but flowering lilies are a risk to most reptiles).

It would not surprise me that many people use it and are happy with it, but I would prefer knowing the calcium/phosphorous ratios, oxalates, etc. before I offered it to my torts.

However, I am not sure if I would uproot it if I found it in my habitat. In fact, I almost certainly wouldn't- after all, I had lilies in there before I knew they were a risk and my torts ignored them nicely.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Happy to offer some comfort! I offer individual leaves occasionally to my hatchlings/yearlings as well. Some like it others don't. It is a good source of moisture for them in my experience, and has never offered any problems. Aloe has long been a human nutritional supplement, with the vit/min information provided. It is generally offered at health food stores for anyone interested in reading the labels.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
If you can point me to a reliable link of nutritional values of the plant itself, I would really appreciate it. I can find some for the juice (mostly as a commercial preparation, which mean added ingredients), and some for the freeze-dried plant, which would be more concentrated than the live plant.

I can find a lot of health claims, but very little clinical research behind several of them, and it does bother me that it is often listed as a laxative, which would tend to negate or minimize most of the other nutritional values.

Reading the labels at the store means I am not looking at the nutritional value of the raw plant- I am looking at something packaged and processed. I can find nutritional values for a lot of really odd things on-line, but so far- not raw aloe vera plants.

Status
Not open for further replies.