1. Hello guest! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and have a great time chatting with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Aldabra vs Galapagos Tortoise

Discussion in 'Aldabra tortoises' started by Radiated, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Radiated

Radiated New Member

Hey,
    Just wondering what the differences are between the two species (Galapagos and Aldabra Tortoise) Which ones are better.

Thanks
  2. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer Staff Member

Poor choice of words...there is no "better" when you're talking tortoise. I love all of them!

They both grow very large. They're both very calm and gentle. They're both just absolutely beautiful!
  3. FADE2BLACK_1973

FADE2BLACK_1973 New Member

Well they are both from 2 different Islands, aldabra's are much easier to find for sale and alot cheaper compare to an galapapos. Btw, there is a member that is an Aldabra breeder :).
  4. Radiated

Radiated New Member

Was thinking about purchasing a Galapagos tortoise, but not sure how to tell the difference...
    Which of them are smoother, and which looks better
    I know they all look very beautiful

Thanks for the Info
  5. ascott

ascott Well-Known Member

Hi...what a fun adventure of a question....my only reply would be;

Research! :D and I say this because before you purchase either you really really really need to have solid knowledge on at least basic facts and excellent husbandry techniques ......these are a huge species to raise and care for and I believe you should know the simple facts about both before you make the choice...IMHO that is :D
  6. tortoises101

tortoises101 Active Member

They're both awesome tortoises. I would love to own an aldabra, but my stupid climate just doesn't agree. On the physical side, Galapagos torts lack a nuchal scute while aldabras have one, though 1.34% of aldabras lack a nuchal scute. Galaps also tend to be more outgoing, though this varies with each individual tortoise.
  7. Laura

Laura Active Member

DITTO DITTO DITTO!!!!
    read, educate and research.. GO visit those that have them and see what thier care requires First hand.. I highly recommend this with sulcatas as well. They are awsome.. but not for everyone!
  8. Rustyiron

Rustyiron New Member

I didn't know you can buy a Gala? wow, cool.
  9. tortoises101

You can't. They're under very intense government protection and are only sold to zoos and educational institutions. Plus, the Galapagos are a very fragile archipelago and we should NEVER remove anything from it.
  10. Laura

Laura Active Member

you CAN buy them... but you need LOTS of money.. we have a member here that has one..
    kingsnake.com go see if they currently have any...
  11. FADE2BLACK_1973

Yep there is someone sellin a herd of Galapagos but you have to have a certain permit in order to buy and own even just one. The breeder that I bought Spike from has afew large adult Galapagos and they are just awesome to watch. But they are in Southern Florida, on a large farm, and the breeders have strict permits to own them.
  12. ALDABRAMAN

ALDABRAMAN KEEPER AT HEART

I was told that three Galop hatchlings just sold for $5000 each. I know of two sources that have breeding Galops and they are both in Florida.
  13. Tom

Tom Well-Known Member

You can buy Galops with no permits whatsoever. If you want to cross state lines with one, then you need a Captive Bred Wildlife Permit. Aldabras reproduce better in captivity so far, so they are more available than Galops. Very few people have produced very few Galop babies in this country and so the price is very high. I have been around adults of both and in GENERAL I find their personalities to be similar. They will both grow up to be smooth, if they are raised correctly. I think they are both great tortoises. Personally, since they will have to be outdoors as much as possible, I would consider my climate in my choice. Aldabs do better with lots of humidity and Galops can handle the dry better, from what I have been told.
  14. EricIvins

EricIvins Active Member

That's alot of misinformation there.......

Any member of the Public can buy/sell/trade/ and or possess any type of Galop........A CBW Permit is needed to sell across State lines, but that isn't hard to acquire, and no different than any other ESA listed animal.....
  15. tortoises101

Thanks for correcting me Tom and Eric. ;)
  16. FADE2BLACK_1973

Oh I really thought you had to have a certain permit to own them also and not just a transporting permit. New news to me. But still awhole lot of money plus more for supplying a large year round warm to hot outside enclosure and food. I dont think they are for anyone. A huge responsiblitiy owning a Galapagos.
  17. Tom

Tom Well-Known Member

Did you mean to say that you don't think they are for EVERYONE? I would agree with that fully.

If you meant to say they are not for ANYONE, then we are going to have to disagree. I know lots of people and facilities that are very well suited to house Galops. A good friend had one in his back yard for several years.

Yes, definitely a HUGE responsibility.
  18. yarok

yarok New Member

Wow that is great. I always thought galops were endangered and illegal to posses.
  19. netz67

netz67 New Member

i am quite shocked as to the fact Galapagos tortoise's are available i thought they were a protected species :-(
    i would love to be in a position to own enough land to have these and aldabrans strolling round sadly not in my life time , dont hink the uk is quite the right climate a tad chilly
  20. TortoiseBoy1999

TortoiseBoy1999 Active Member

Hey ALDABRAMAN! my mom is dying to know: How much does your biggest Aldabra weigh?