ALDABRA TORTOISE TRAINING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Well, I guess if they were having trouble getting them to come in at night.... But my question is, do they "have" to come in?? Maybe they like to sleep under the stars. They do carry their house with them. At least that's what I've always been told. LOL

Creedence

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
I know at my local zoo (I used to volunteer) a lot of their animals are trained. I know their otters are trained to go into a kennel and shut the door to be transported and the lions are able to stand up against a gate so their bellies and paws can be inspected. I don't see anything wrong with it as it's beneficial to the keepers and the animals don't seem to mind.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I think that the clicker is funny, that is generally not a tone that they readily "hear"....hmmmmm?

Did anyone notice that the lady zoo gal kinda had a face shaped like an aldabra.???? tee hee...:p

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
ascott said:
I think that the clicker is funny, that is generally not a tone that they readily "hear"....hmmmmm?

Did anyone notice that the lady zoo gal kinda had a face shaped like an aldabra.???? tee hee...:p

LOL!

Vincentdhr

5 Year Member
Here at the San Diego Zoo, the keepers have all of the tortoises trained to go to the back of their enclosure so they can easily be inspected, then they follow the keeper inside for the night. They will even follow us volunteers! It's really cool to have a herd of Galapagos Tortoises following you.

Hasselhound

10 Year Member!
If you can clicker train a goldfish or a chicken, why not a tortoise?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think it's a great idea. Easier to check for injuries, move them when needed and could even be used just to give them some interaction and remove some bordum. We want to see video of you clicker training:p:D

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Terry Allan Hall said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_9AJbn-qIY&feature=endscreen&NR=1[/video]

Is it wise to keep Aldabras and Galops in the same enclosure?

I see this all the time, especially with these two species! Even most zoos keep them together.

I see...thought it might contribute to health issues, much like mixing smaller species...

I agree, seems like it is an accepted risk by most! Good point!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
ALDABRAMAN said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_9AJbn-qIY&feature=endscreen&NR=1[/video]

I see this all the time, especially with these two species! Even most zoos keep them together.

I see...thought it might contribute to health issues, much like mixing smaller species...

Fortunately, most zoos have an onsite veterinary staff, so that (hopefully) makes it safer for the mega-torts.

BTW, I've informed my wife that if our circumstances ever become such that we can take proper care of an Aldabra, we're getting one!

After getting up close to the ones at the Forest Park zoo, she's now amendable to the idea.

Come on, Lottery! :p

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Terry Allan Hall said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

Fortunately, most zoos have an onsite veterinary staff, so that (hopefully) makes it safer for the mega-torts.

BTW, I've informed my wife that if our circumstances ever become such that we can take proper care of an Aldabra, we're getting one!

After getting up close to the ones at the Forest Park zoo, she's now amendable to the idea.

Come on, Lottery! :p

:D

leonardo the tmnt

5 Year Member
ascott said:

She kind of did ! Lol:)

EKLC

5 Year Member
Status
Not open for further replies.