ALDABRA TORTOISE BREEDER

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
That is just too cool. :) Those babies of yours are quite spoiled to get the cactus diced up for them. Sometimes I wish cactus like that would just grow wherever outside but then I remember I live in Michigan. :p We received some nice sun here on Sunday, but it's not enough! It looks like you have the "spineless" Opuntia variety; I'm going to have to get a hold of that one!!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
TThe cactus looks pretty delicious!

~ This is a new load we just picked up this morning. The FPL crew had destroyed the entire giant cactus plant and just left it lay on the ground. I stopped and asked the home owner if i could get some. This is the result, four solid wheelbarrow loads of just selective pads. I trimmed the main stock up and they are going to call when it gets full again so we can manage it in the future and keep it trimmed and use the pads as food. FPL (Florida Power & Light) simply has a trimming crew that just tops trees and bushes so it does not touch the lines, they butchered the giant old cactus plant. New fresh cactus source for the future, awesome.

IMG_1713.JPG IMG_1712.JPG

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
How long does the cactus keep for you and how do you store it so it does not go bad. O and what a beautiful picture of Skye. She looks like a top pedigree LOL

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
how do you store it so it does not go bad.

~ I am going to store about half of this load from today. After i clean it i usually store it in the barn on the hay rack in the shade. It seems to stay good in the shade, we usually feed it all within days of getting it. No need to actually store it for long periods, we have many sources that we can simply go and harvest at any given time. I have stored a few totes for over a week before and it was absolutely fine in the shade. I will take some picture today and show you. Here is a picture, these buckets have young tender pads in them that we save and feed to our hatchling population.

IMG_3262.JPG