ALDABRA TORTOISE BREEDER

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Curious. Do they stay out all night or do you put them in the barn or do they put themselves in the barn at night, warm nights?
What time do they start their day in the morning and what time do they usually settle for the night?
Do they usually sleep for most of the day or graze most of the day?
Also, have you ever had to use the hurricane safe resort in Ohio(I think it's Ohio)?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Curious. Do they stay out all night or do you put them in the barn or do they put themselves in the barn at night, warm nights?
day?

~ It varies with no realistic consistencies, some stay outside and some go inside. No patterns, etc. We do put our adults in at anything below 60f. Tonight it is 48f, here is some pictures from tonight coaching Alfa into the barn with a bowl of Mazuri and carrots!

IMG_7296.JPG IMG_7297.JPG IMG_7300.JPG IMG_7303.JPG IMG_7304.JPG IMG_7305.JPG IMG_7318.JPG

ChrisJohan

5 Year Member
Indonesia
~ We have found that our best results are with using simple still air incubators with vermiculite as a base!
Here in Indonesia the vermiculite contains little insect eggs, they're like feces/flea I'm not sure... What we do is, we boil them first, dry them out, then its ready to use... Or we just use perlite since perlite is cleaner... Is the vermiculite the same there?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Here in Indonesia the vermiculite contains little insect eggs, they're like feces/flea I'm not sure... What we do is, we boil them first, dry them out, then its ready to use... Or we just use perlite since perlite is cleaner... Is the vermiculite the same there?

~ I am not sure, probably many different manufacturers and variations of product availability. We have never seen any bugs or have ever had any issues. I have spoken to many others that use different substrate options, however never tried any other methods! I am considering using this method. This is a picture from Jason Abels who is successfully producing Galapagos tortoises here in Florida. I think it would be much cleaning, etc.

10294413_10152188376556026_3262627764670128992_n.jpg

ChrisJohan

5 Year Member
Indonesia
~ I am not sure, probably many different manufacturers and variations of product availability. We have never seen any bugs or have ever had any issues. I have spoken to many others that use different substrate options, however never tried any other methods! I am considering using this method. This is a picture from Jason Abels who is successfully producing Galapagos tortoises here in Florida. I think it would be much cleaning, etc.

View attachment 115569
Whoa... One of my dream torts!
Are you selling the aldabra babies? Or keeping them? Here where I am, a baby aldabra thats around 4 inches can go for $2,200 and every cm they gain, the price goes up $100. And believe me, $2,200 is a lot of money... regular under grad salary is around $300-$400 a MONTH but of course the cost of living here is way cheaper too...
Sorry if I started talkin about money and stuff! Good job breeding them! I wish I could be there to see or learn!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your sunny pic are so deceiving with the temps your getting at night. With the 47night temps, what are your days temps running right now. Friends of mine left to florida a couple weeks ago for the winter and she has not been happy at all with the temps. Not sure what part she's in though.

I remember a while back you posting about getting more property. You did get that then? I don't remember, is it connected to your property now or will you all be moving to a new location?

Glad you haven't had to use the Ohio place. Didn't think you had.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

View attachment 115569
What do the torts do when they are totally hatched out? Looks like they wouldn't be able to move.