ALDABRA TORTOISE BREEDER

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
I know they have to be bigger to accurately sex them but can u kinda guess when their this size and age? Do they have characteristics at this age/size that might predict male or female?

~ The two above are male and female, the male was hatched on January 11th of 2014 and is bigger, heavier, and acts like a typical male. The female was hatched on January 1st of 2014 and is smaller, lighter, and acts like a typical female!

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I noticed the size difference! Typically around what age or size do you start noticing them "acting" like a male or female? What type of behaviors do you notice that makes you say male or female?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Typically around what age or size do you start noticing them "acting" like a male or female?

~ Many factors, usually we start noticing when we only have a few to observe. In this case we have two from last season and the female is very reclusive, shy, stays in the bushes much more, weighs less, and has a more domed carapace. The male is much more active, bold, always out of the bushes, weighs more, much bigger and has a distinctive wider carapace. Usually at four or five months old we only have a selective few left that are well acclimated and adjusted which makes it easy to observe them. When we have so many new young hatchlings in a smaller controlled area it is almost impossible to observe any individual particulars.

00e0e_bFLvrIWcKNm_600x450.jpg

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
What is the size difference in a 4-5 month old compared to a yearling?

~ Our four to five month month olds are typically between the 4" to 4.5" range!

00t0t_7E4L0Rz3faG_600x450.jpg

~ Our yearlings are typically between the 6" to 7" range!

00Q0Q_RJD7ORhOck_600x450.jpg

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Ok. I know that this wouldn't be 100% accurate but what's the odds of you (since you raise them) picking a male out of a group of 4-4.5" ones if you had someone requesting a male?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Ok. I know that this wouldn't be 100% accurate but what's the odds of you (since you raise them) picking a male out of a group of 4-4.5" ones if you had someone requesting a male?

~ Hard to answer, depends on how many we have, etc. I would say that anything over 6" has a higher chance of prediction because we usually only have a select few and much easier to watch and observe as individuals!

00G0G_iN4TozMw7M8_600x450.jpg

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
This thread with its special pictures has really gotten my wife and my interest. Thank you. Our two California Desert Tortoises are quite special to us, but there is something really grand about your Aldabras. Should we ever get to Naples, we'd love to visit. Please continue to share your wealth of experience. As always, Orvil