Age of tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfootraider

5 Year Member
Have a red foot tortoise and he measures about 2.5 inches about how old could my tortoise be because this one guy from a pet shop told me he could be about 1 or 1 1/2 year old but am not sure?

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northwest FL
I agree, 1-1 1/2 sounds about right but it is hard to tell the exact age without knowing the hatch date.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
I am extremely confused. A redfoot that is only 2.5 inches? No way could that guy be more than 3 months old. My smallest is 3+ inches now and he's maybe 6 months old.

Maybe I'm going crazy.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Mgridgaway said:
I am extremely confused. A redfoot that is only 2.5 inches? No way could that guy be more than 3 months old. My smallest is 3+ inches now and he's maybe 6 months old.

Maybe I'm going crazy.

Actually, you're right. When I first read the post I was thinking that it said the hatchling was 1/2 to 1 year old---not 1 to 1 1/2 year old. I didn't read it carefully enough, sorry.
Some yearling red-footed tortoises might be about that size and even though it would be small, it would certainly be within the range.
But at a full year to a year and a half it should be larger than 2.5 inches.
In my experience, Colombian, cherry-heads and Surinam yearlings are 3 to 4.5 inches at 12 to 18 months with some being even larger.

Kasper2reds

5 Year Member
cdmay said:
Actually, you're right. When I first read the post I was thinking that it said the hatchling was 1/2 to 1 year old---not 1 to 1 1/2 year old. I didn't read it carefully enough, sorry.
Some yearling red-footed tortoises might be about that size and even though it would be small, it would certainly be within the range.
But at a full year to a year and a half it should be larger than 2.5 inches.
In my experience, Colombian, cherry-heads and Surinam yearlings are 3 to 4.5 inches at 12 to 18 months with some being even larger.

I agree. Your red foot is between hatchling and 6 months I'd say. I have a 1 year old cherry that is 3.5 inches and a 2.5 year old redfoot that is 6.5 inches. I measure straight down the plastron.

8ec4525c.jpg

redfootraider

5 Year Member
Thanks I was getting confused cuz I thought he was only like 6 months maybe but am glad he is only about 6 months and am glad I don't start feeding him calcium cuz I think is bad for him

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
redfootraider said:
Thanks I was getting confused cuz I thought he was only like 6 months maybe but am glad he is only about 6 months and am glad I don't start feeding him calcium cuz I think is bad for him

I have two hatchlings that are ~ 6 months old and they receive a light dusting of calcium every other meal or two. When I say light, I mean light! I use an old salt shaker filled with calcium powder. So far, nice hard shells and healthy appetites. It's up to you, but I'd say it probably won't hurt your tort to get a little calcium boost at least once a week?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Why would calcium be bad for him? Tortoises need good levels of calcium, phosphorous, iron, vitamin D, and other nutrients to build strong bones.

Certainly, too much calcium is bad, but most of the foods we can get are a little low, so some supplementation is helpful.

redfootraider

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
Why would calcium be bad for him? Tortoises need good levels of calcium, phosphorous, iron, vitamin D, and other nutrients to build strong bones.

Certainly, too much calcium is bad, but most of the foods we can get are a little low, so some supplementation is helpful.

I don't mean bad for him I mean wen his young

Status
Not open for further replies.