Aestivation: 35 yr old Sully taking his sweet-a** time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
@Tom: In your experience, how old is a typical 120lb Male?

I've seen them hit that size in as little as 12 years. Growth rates vary wildly, and depend on many factors. I've also seen 5 pound 12 year olds. This makes any sort of "average" meaningless.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I checked the average lows for Senegal and Mali - it rarely gets below 65F throughout the year.

When considering the overnight lows in Mali, also consider then daytime highs the next day. While the night time temps may occasionally dip that low, every day is going to be in the 90s or higher. So while we have occasional cooler days in winter they don't. Basically, our summer temps simulate their year round temps. In that burrow enclosure, I unplug the heating elements over summer. That burrow stays within a few degrees of 80 all summer long with no heat. 60 degree nights, and 100 degree days, and just 3 feet down it stays 80 all the time. In winter with 65 degree days and 35 degree nights, that same burrow will hover around 50 with no heat. This is why I say its too cold underground for them over winter. Its great for animals that hibernate. Very stable. But too cold for a tropical animal that does not hibernate.

luvsdaheat

Sunny Palm Springs, CA
Tom,
What you're saying makes sense for maintaining a tropical animal in a tropical environment.

I feel their burrows have a saving grace in that they lie directly under a 15'x25' concrete slab (old paddle-tennis court). It won't raise the temp to 80, but it's better than your average hole in the ground...

RE age: We understood that CB Sulcatas weren't widely available decades ago... All I can say is that the previous owner (an aerospace engineer) lived in Escondido, had the pair for 5 years, and said they were 22 and 24 when we got them....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom,
I feel their burrows have a saving grace in that they lie directly under a 15'x25' concrete slab (old paddle-tennis court). It won't raise the temp to 80, but it's better than your average hole in the ground...

That is excellent for your roasting hot summers. Perfect for them really.

I'm curious about the temps down there. Throw a temperature probe down there and see what you've got. My tortoise's burrow is 22' long and I recorded a temp of 74 degrees about 18' deep on a 107 degree September day.

Then throw a temp probe down there in winter and see what you've got.

Prairie Mom

This is one of the most interesting threads (with interesting links) I have read. Thanks so much to @luvsdaheat , @Tom , and everyone else who participated so far. We can learn so much from all of you! Wishing health and happiness to your tortoises, luvsdaheat!

luvsdaheat

Sunny Palm Springs, CA
That is excellent for your roasting hot summers. Perfect for them really.

I'm curious about the temps down there. Throw a temperature probe down there and see what you've got. My tortoise's burrow is 22' long and I recorded a temp of 74 degrees about 18' deep on a 107 degree September day.

Then throw a temp probe down there in winter and see what you've got.

I just got my remote temp sensor up and running;)

luvsdaheat

Sunny Palm Springs, CA
UPDATE: My wife left the house at 3:30 for an appointment, and when we returned at 5:30 this afternoon Oscar had installed himself by the back door looking super alert, and wanting a handout. All last week he ignored the carrots, etc. we'd placed by him, but now he started eating the greens we put in front of him right away - finally! He's now munching, taking a break, munching, break, etc.... like a Desert Tortoise when coming out of hibernation.

I readily admit that the idea of estivating (aestivating) was an alien concept to me before this. Thank you Yvonne G. for sharing your Russian's summer habits! I also agree with Tom's idea's for a heated burrow - great design! - and his rationale for heating through the colder months makes sense.

When it's all said and done, until proven otherwise, it seems as though Oscar is coming out of an estivation cycle...something none of our African torts had previously done.

thank you everyone, for comments, etc. - Compared to husbanding the other Giants, Sulcatas (and the other "exotic" torts) in the USA is in its infancy. I do not believe there are very many "journals" we can read with experiences about Sulcatas going into their 30's and beyond to the point where empirical "truisms" can be drawn across the entire spectrum of caring for them....I have a lot to learn, and look forward to it:)

brad wolff

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I do not believe there are very many "journals" we can read with experiences about Sulcatas going into their 30's and beyond to the point where empirical "truisms" can be drawn across the entire spectrum of caring for them..

Perfect, I am a firm believer in this as well....glad to hear all is working itself out...also, as a tort ages it behaviors can change as well....so enjoy...

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
In your experience, how old is a typical 120lb Male?

Not Tom, but, as I've seen my share, I will tell you it's all about how they were raised. Locale may have something to do with it...but that's another topic altogether! Sudanese specimens can reach 250 pounds by the time they're 30...whereas Sengalese specimens break 200 pounds around the same time! I've seen 10 year olds hit 120#...and then I've seen 25-30 year olds barely 100#. Typically, 12 -15 years old is when you start seeing prime monsters!