Advice on a new tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIZZIE

5 Year Member
Hello, I am very new to the whole tortoise thing, I have years of experience with boas and pythons but have been out of that hobby for a few years now so the whole humidity, temp. control thing is not new to me. My question is, what kind of tortoise do some of you more experienced keepers recomend, I've been doing LOTS of reserch and am leaning towards a Hermann or Cherryhead or Leopard (little worried about how large they get) I think they are all beautiful creatures. I live in central Wi. and have a very large yard, but will have to house my choice(s) inside during the winter months obviously. Any recomondations to species choice or good breeders would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, DIZZIE!!

Any of those tortoises would be a good one for a first tortoise. Don't stress out about it. They are pretty forgiving. You have to keep a redfooted tortoise in a pretty humid environment, and plants in the habitat help with that.

A baby leopard has to start out in a moist environment to keep the pyramiding under control, but you just moisten the substrate. Its pretty easy and once they're over a year, you can cut back on the moist substrate.

I don't keep Hermann's tortoises, but they are a pretty hardy little tortoise and I don't think humidity plays a big roll in their care.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
Leopards do get a bit larger than the other two, but housing them would not impossible, with the right measures taken.

I personally love redfoots (of which cherryheads are a variety). A little more tropical than most tortoises, but definitely personable.

The humidity thing can be tricky, but really its just getting past the concept of open-air topped enclosures. Find a way to close the top, and you can keep a "lid" on the humidity matter a lot better.

Look at the thread in my signature for ideas on an indoor tank habitat for hatchlings. It's for redfoots, but can work well for nearly any species.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
There are quite often torts listed on Craig's List--all ages, sizes, species--that are no longer wanted and need good homes. If you aren't necessarily wanting a tiny hatchling, that may be a good place to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.