Advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

samiburke

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Okay I have a baby sulcata. He's maybe bout three I he's big and right now he"s in a 20 gallon tank because I can't afford a new enclosure. But I am slowly getting the money I need. I have some ideas about the storage bins that will give him more room but I have a very curious kitty (who is declawed) that likes to investigate Sheldon (said baby sulcata) and at one point was half way into the tank trying to play with the tort and I am worried that if I change the enclosure to the storage bins for more space they will have to be on the floor and I'm scared my cat will try to eat my tortoise. And I don't think I can put a lid on the enclosure because it needs light and the heat. Also if I do do this how big of storage bins should I get and should I be worried about my cat and would the heat lights melt the plastic of the bins. I could use some advice. Thanks

He's three inches sorry for the typo

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Check out the threads below. Pay attention to the closed chamber one. However, if your sully is three years old. These threads won't work, they are for hatchlings to about a year. Other then that, you will have to put the enclosure someplace the cat can't get to him.

samiburke

5 Year Member
Florida
I made a typo. He's under a year and he three inches not three years. But thank you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You need some space for your baby and you need it ASAP. Can you build a cover out of some 2x4s and hardware cloth? A closed chamber will work best. They keep your conditions better, use less electricity, and keep curious kitties away all at the same time.

samiburke

5 Year Member
Florida
Can u explain a little better Tom??? I can get tht stuff but how will that allow light into his enclosure???

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Baby torts and cats really don't mix well. Your baby tort will be stressed out most of the time if the cat tries to enter his enclosure. Is there a place you can put the baby tort where the cat cannot get to it? If you can separate the two, then you can have an enclosure that isn't so restrictive and allows proper heating, lighting, and humidity. Tom's threads are great in caring for baby torts. Check them out first.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
I have mine the the storage bin thing right now. For inside I got the one that has a split lid....so you can open just one side. I cut a hole in it for the CHE to hang above and it's been working great. That half of the enclosure has been keeping humidity good too...I just leave the lid on that side closed all the time. In the day time if my guys can't go outside because of the weather I open the opposite side and have a light hanging above that. I got a grilling rack type thing that I put over the open part. It actually fits really nice and snug on the sides (happy coincidence). My cats won't mess with it because its not very nice for them to sit on and it's too heavy for them to lift off.

leonardo the tmnt

5 Year Member
LuckysGirl007 said:
I have mine the the storage bin thing right now. For inside I got the one that has a split lid....so you can open just one side. I cut a hole in it for the CHE to hang above and it's been working great. That half of the enclosure has been keeping humidity good too...I just leave the lid on that side closed all the time. In the day time if my guys can't go outside because of the weather I open the opposite side and have a light hanging above that. I got a grilling rack type thing that I put over the open part. It actually fits really nice and snug on the sides (happy coincidence). My cats won't mess with it because its not very nice for them to sit on and it's too heavy for them to lift off.

I would do this:)

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Tom said:
samiburke said:
Can u explain a little better Tom??? I can get tht stuff but how will that allow light into his enclosure???

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Closed-Chambers#axzz27ygad6EM
There are many ways to do it. This is just one.

On one of my inside enclosures my husband took the plastic lid that came with the plastic container and cut the center part out, leaving about 3 inches all along the edges (you could leave more if you want to). Then he took metal wire sheeting (the kind you build cages out of) and took metal washers and screws and attached the wire to the top of the lid. It makes a secure top and I can snap the ends of the lid so a cat could not push it up and off. My container has the ends that swing down to unlock and swing up to lock the top and bottom together. :)

Herman Ben

5 Year Member
There is a really neat enclosure called the tortoise house by zoomed and it has an indoor space and u can join two together they sell them on big apple pet supplies and other websites im sure too. But check them out u can have heat and the cat can't get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.