Advice needed please! (male aggressive towards female)

Kirstie

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I have 2 Hermann tortoises, 1 male & 1 female. They are nearly 4 years old, very healthy & adventurous. Up until recently I have had no issues with them living in the same tortoise 'castle.'
However, my male tortoises behaviour towards my female tortoise has changed. He is chasing her, biting ankles & basically trying to have sex with her. She is not willing to have sex & runs away which is when the ankle biting starts.
I cannot stress enough - my female tortoise is not injured! I regularly check her hind legs for any signs of injury.
Most of the time my male tortoise behaves like this is in the evenings after a day of food, light & heat. I let them roam freely (always where I can see them) but I occasionally turn their light off to cool him down & they then sleep. I do not like doing this! I am very aware the uv light is essential for them.
If you have any advice for me please tell me! Permanently separating them is my last resort so any other suggestions than that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I am afraid I agree. They will have to be separated to prevent her from getting hurt or sick.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
A way bigger enclosure with site barriers or separate them .

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Do you still keep them in their old castle? That's way too small. Build them a large and well structured outdoor enclosure, that might help.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
A large outdoor enclosure might work. But separation might be the only viable option. I have to ask though, why the reluctance to separate?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What you're describing is typical male behaviour towards the lone female in his territory. You're either going to have to build a bigger yard for them outside, or separate them indoors.