Add a tortoise to the fam

Julianabaz

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hey guysss, so I have a 2 year old Greek tortoise and we recently bought him a new cage and I was looking to get another one since his cage is now big enough but idk what its age would be but if it was a baby or adult do you think that my current Greek tortoise would try to hurt it in any way?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey guysss, so I have a 2 year old Greek tortoise and we recently bought him a new cage and I was looking to get another one since his cage is now big enough but idk what its age would be but if it was a baby or adult do you think that my current Greek tortoise would try to hurt it in any way?
Yes, a two year old would likely try to hurt a smaller one, and they should never live in pairs. Age, sex and size do not matter when it comes to the pair thing. Groups of juveniles or babies can usually work, but never pairs.

Julianabaz

California
Yes, a two year old would likely try to hurt a smaller one, and they should never live in pairs. Age, sex and size do not matter when it comes to the pair thing. Groups of juveniles or babies can usually work, but never pairs.
So if I were to get another Greek tortoise should I put them in a different cage and maybe they will slowly get used to eachother ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So if I were to get another Greek tortoise should I put them in a different cage and maybe they will slowly get used to eachother ?
No. It would have to stay in its own cage. They do not get used to each other. They do not want to live as a pair ever, and its bad for them to do so.

Julianabaz

California
No. It would have to stay in its own cage. They do not get used to each other. They do not want to live as a pair ever, and its bad for them to do so.
So my tortoise never is never lonely on its own?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Each one needs his or her very own nice big enclosure with no company!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So my tortoise never is never lonely on its own?
No they do not get lonely and they can't live in pairs. Even if they could, which they can't, an indoor cage for one adult needs to be a minimum of a 4x8. Do you even have a big enough enclosure for the one you have?