Wanting info on Golden Greek Tortoise

Tiny Tortoise Luke

I have recently discovered tortoises and decided I want one. I plan on buying mine from Deer Fern Farms. I live in a small town house in Houston, TX, with no backyard. I am planning on making a cage out of wood that is 3'x2'. I don't know much about golden greek tortoises and would like to know everything you need to know about owning a tortoise. I'm hoping someone can tell me what my cage needs, how to bathe my tortoise, and what I should feed him.
-Luke:tort:

Tiny Tortoise Luke

I would go with at the least a 2'x4' enclosure, but even bigger is better!
I decided to buy a Caspian Greek tortoise, which only grows to 5 in. as a male. The dresser I am putting it on is 18 in. deep and 5 ft. long, so I will be making 1.5'x4'.

Eduardo Hernandez

Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, California
I decided to buy a Caspian Greek tortoise, which only grows to 5 in. as a male. The dresser I am putting it on is 18 in. deep and 5 ft. long, so I will be making 1.5'x4'.

How long will you be keeping it in it for? Even though they're small, they still need a lot of space. It can work for a baby, but be planning to upgrade soon.

Tiny Tortoise Luke

How long will you be keeping it in it for? Even though they're small, they still need a lot of space. It can work for a baby, but be planning to upgrade soon.
If I see that my tortoise is getting close to his fully grown size, and I'm committed to him, I'll make a large enclosure for the floor.

enzot91

5 Year Member
Scotland
If I see that my tortoise is getting close to his fully grown size, and I'm committed to him, I'll make a large enclosure for the floor.

I'd suggest making sure that you're committed to the animal before you take it on. There are already enough tortoises out there that aren't cared for properly. I know that may sound harsh, but please do your research first. You've come to the right place for a great source of information.

Tiny Tortoise Luke

I'd suggest making sure that you're committed to the animal before you take it on. There are already enough tortoises out there that aren't cared for properly. I know that may sound harsh, but please do your research first. You've come to the right place for a great source of information.
If I came out sounding like I'm not committed, that's not what I meant. I've done huge amounts of research since this thread, and will still wait a while before I get my tortoise. I certainly would never own a tortoise and not care for it enough. When I said committed, I meant that after a few years, a tortoise isn't as exciting as it used to be. Although I doubt it, I might no longer want my tortoise. I'm not sure who I would give it to, but I don't need to know now because it's extremely unlikely that will ever happen.

Eduardo Hernandez

Orange County, California
Please wait it out a bit. Torts aren't the most interesting animal in the world. You can't really play much with them, they don't cuddle or like being touched too much usually. Think of it more as taking care of an art exhibit than a pet. You can look at it when its properly set up, and it will have its nice/cute moments. But if you are really set on having it, make sure you can financially take care of it as well. Torts are expensive, with UV lights, food, and vet visits adding up. And if you pay for electricity, then that will definitely go up. Its one of the factors most people don't think about when getting a tort.

Tiny Tortoise Luke

Please wait it out a bit. Torts aren't the most interesting animal in the world. You can't really play much with them, they don't cuddle or like being touched too much usually. Think of it more as taking care of an art exhibit than a pet. You can look at it when its properly set up, and it will have its nice/cute moments. But if you are really set on having it, make sure you can financially take care of it as well. Torts are expensive, with UV lights, food, and vet visits adding up. And if you pay for electricity, then that will definitely go up. Its one of the factors most people don't think about when getting a tort.
I know torts don't like being touched, and looking at it will be quite enough. I've looked at everything I need for him to live comfortably. I'll still wait a while to see if I want a tortoise then, but I'm prepared for one.