About Oxalate Crystals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I thought this was interesting, , I have never tried to tie a link before so it might not work . Len Its not working so I took some of the link off, it was going to a flower shop.if this part works go to the bottom of the page to find the link or someone can remove this thread.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
I think hobbyists on our level tend to take some things further than they probably should be taken. Oxalates are one example in my mind. We so often hear that oxalates are bad, period, so avoid spinach, etc.

As this article points out, they are not that big a deal unless significantly overdone. If you ONLY fed spinach for an extended period, you may have a problem, but there is dang little hard evidence that some oxalate-rich foods are a problem in a varied, balanced diet.

ekm5015

5 Year Member
I think it is overblown a bit too. Your cat or dog is not gona die if they nibble on a peace lily in your home. But...the issue with oxalates and torts is not that they are gona drop dead because of poison. Oxalates prevent the absorbtion of Calcium, one of the most important nutrients for our tortoises. Over a long period of time if too much oxalate rich foods are fed it can lead to a possible soft shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.