A newbi on the blog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idusa

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,

Here is the newest member of the forum, coming to you from Aarhus, Denmark.

A month ago I enharited two beautifull ladies from a guy who had lost all interest. So without any experience in the matter I now try to be the best turtle mum ever :) The previous owner had no light or heat ón them and said only to feed them meat once a week... Else they would grow fat and get crushed in their shells..... Any truth in that? I went to the local pet store and asked there and he Said to feed them twice a day.... Mixed messages here!? I now feed them once or twice a day with either anchovys or the frozen fresh stuff... Messy though. :)
I don't know their species, so maybe there is help to get here? I belive they are some sorts of terrapines but type, age and even sex I know nothing about.

Here they are

image-2273574336.png

image-2576692757.png

And here they live :)

image-4147790761.png

All the Best,

Ida

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME.:D. I can't help you much except to say they need a basking light, can't really tell if the light you have is or not. A basking light gets hot and usually gives UVB. Other then that, they are pretty. Other with more experience will be on soon to help you out.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome :)

Beyond saying that they look like some kind of terrapin (Slider to those in the USA), I can't identify them.

I'm sure the experts will be aling soon :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ida:

Welcome to the Forum!!

You should feed them a small meal once a day. They will act like they're starving to death, scrambling at the side whenever they see you, but don't give in. One small meal a day is more than adequate for a captive water turtle.

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
We have three of these, they do pretend to be starving yes... But they do need feeding every day. Yellow bellies I believe, my husband takes care of them I just admire... They come above the water to bask under the lamp but only really when they are desperate.

Oh and they do get pretty large :) where in the world are you?

image-2375189000.png

Oh I just re read denmark. I'll find out more from the other half

Idusa

5 Year Member
Tanks for the lovely welcome.

I have a UV lamp and a ceramic heat lamp (just need a new fitting) and they both love to bask.
I agree that the bigger one looks like a yellow belly slider. But the smaller one is more grayish and seems a little different.

I'll holde a little back on the grub. Any experience on feeding them out of the wather? Or in a smaller tank?

Here is a few pics of the little one, she's called Kelly..... The other one is Brenda..... Yes, I'm from that generation ;-) Love to see how Brenda is way more outgoing and social and Kelly is more held back... She likes little nooks and hiding places. She only just started basking arter hasing been here for a month.

image-2655610724.png

image-3844109006.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't keep water turtles in tanks (I have an outdoor pond), but when I have a hospital tank, I usually feed the turtle in a different container than the one he normally lives in. This keeps the water cleaner. I'll put him into a plastic tub of water and feed him, then I'll leave him in there for an hour or so before I put him back into his "clean" container.

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Wow!! Welcome to the forums! Those are BEAUTIFUL turtles!! I've never been much into the aquatic ones but those girls are STUNNING! Congrats on saving them from whoever could possibly lose interest in these wonderful creatures.. :D good to have you!!

Idusa

5 Year Member
Thanks guys :)

I really wish I had an option to keep the girls's out side, but living in a rented flat on the secound floor leaves me no choise. I'll just have to compensate by beeing a good mum.... Same thing goes for three year old son....Apart from the pond thing ;-)

I try to keep them at a minimum stress level, so I worry that feeding them in a seperate tank will really stress them out. They seedede pretty freaked out today when I tried. What is your experience/opinion?

Xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.