A mistake I made nearly killed wall-e

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Texas, yeehaw
Alright, so I've been growing this tortoise mix of grasses and clovers for wall-e in this large plastic tub. Its eccentially an outdoor enclosure. I put a large screen on top that is secured to keep dogs and what not out. He got a hide and good placement for sunlight. The only thing that I was not aware of was our high percent chance of rain (it was not evident that it would be a rainy day) and it doesnt rain much here in new braunfels anyway.

So I'm at school and its raining supper hard all afternoon. Then at about 2:30...it hit me. Wall-e is in a plastic tub. And it is raining super hard. Wall-e could be drowning. I immediately grabbed a senior to take me home and it was a very agonizing 20 minutes. When I got to my house wall-e was sitting in the entrance of his hide, craning his neck to breathe. Had I not realized my mistake when I did he may have drowned.

If you use a plastic container...DRILL HOLES.

I put him under his heat lamp and he said he forgave me.

It scared me so bad. I'm not keeping him in there without supervision now.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
first of all.. welcome back.. where have you been?! you had us worried.. and second of all.. THANK GOODNESS you remembered and he is ok!!!!!! we learn from our mistakes, and yours is a common one. lets hope others see this and fix a potential problem. Another mistake is leaving them outside in a container that heats up and they cook.
Keep him extra warm for a few days to ward off URI.

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Texas, yeehaw
Laura said:
first of all.. welcome back.. where have you been?! you had us worried.. and second of all.. THANK GOODNESS you remembered and he is ok!!!!!! we learn from our mistakes, and yours is a common one. lets hope others see this and fix a potential problem. Another mistake is leaving them outside in a container that heats up and they cook.
Keep him extra warm for a few days to ward off URI.

Thanks, I will do that.

And I know, I've been super busy with nothing new to talk about and kinda stressed with school and life. Wallie and pepper are good. I'm still seeing slight pyramiding on wallie, but I myself am alive and well. It will be easier when summer comes to get on here everyday. You see me on here most during breaks anyway:p

Today was such a scare. Very shaken.

M

Maggie Cummings

Every one of us has had a scare similar to that...It's lucky you remembered him...and it's nice to hear from you, I agree with Laura...we missed you...

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Dutton as everyone has said we all have had scares a time or two. And most of us learn from them. Wall-E has a good keeper in you. Not only did you remember but you did something about it. You took the initiative to check on him and make sure he was ok. That is the sign of a very good keeper. Keep up the good work. Good luck with your exams. And yes we did miss you.

desertsss

5 Year Member
I would have cried. Thank goodness you remembered. I am sure he forgives you, he must have been so happy to see you when you went running up. Kind of like "daddy!". Good luck on your exams, and hope to see you back soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.