A leo that doesn't like the sun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
I think I have a really unusual tortoise. When he's in his indoor enclosure, he very rarely basks under his UV lamp. Whenever he's outside he has full run of both mine and my neighbours gardens, but he will NEVER lie in the sun. He will go to every length to avoid it, and find every bush or plant he can to hide under.

I've tried placing hides in the sun, but he doesn't use them at all. I also have a hide next to his lamp so he'll feel safe but nope, he chooses his plant pot instead.

Any thoughts/suggestions as to why? Or is he just a tortoise that prefers shade? B-) Im trying to stop him pyramiding but he doesnt really help himself!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How old and what size? Young and small ones will often choose safety and security over warmth. Is he in an enclosure that he is familiar with and spends hours at a time there? Or is he loose in a big yard with you hovering nearby so he doesn't get lost?

Avoiding the heat lamps and drying sun will actually help with smooth growth. Both of those things will dry out the carapace.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Tom said:
How old and what size? Young and small ones will often choose safety and security over warmth. Is he in an enclosure that he is familiar with and spends hours at a time there? Or is he loose in a big yard with you hovering nearby so he doesn't get lost?

Avoiding the heat lamps and drying sun will actually help with smooth growth. Both of those things will dry out the carapace.

He's around 22 months and nearly 6 inches. To be honest he doesn't get outside much so no, he's not used to the outside space yet. And yeah, he is loose with me watching, I thought I'd give him as much space as possible.

I've just this minute put a paper bin-hide filled with hay in the sunshine and he's using it. But ideally I want him to get UV rays while he can. At least he's getting fresh air.

Is it just lack of confidence why he won't bask? And good news about the sun and pyramiding. (I'm failing on that - the new growth is smooth, but still rising upwards, and his side scutes aren't growing as fast as the ones along his spine.

EDIT: he WAS using the hide, he's out now. This was a safe place, but in the sun, odd.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My leopard is over two and doesn't bask in the sun and has not layer under the mvb much either. However, they will still get some uv in the shade. Also, being placed in an area that he doesn't get to be in much, will set him back into they same way they act when you first get them, uncomfortable, until they get used to it. Maybe make him a smaller outdoor enclosure that you don't have to watch over and he can get more familiar with faster, as its smaller.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Nope, not an albino.

And I would build him an outdoor enclosure but he'd only get to be in it about 10 days a year. I might make him a temporary one though out of a very large rabbit pen and then cover the mesh at the bottom so he can't see out. Then put some plants in pots in there.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
What tyoe of UV do you have? If it's a compact (coil) type then it could be hurting his eyes.

Outside is new and strange to you tort, so I would expect the hiding instinct out ther until he becomes confident enough in the new surroundings to do more.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
As far as his outside behavior, I think what you are seeing is normal tortoise behavior. It has been my experience that when a tortoise is in unfamiliar surroundings, their first instinct is to hide and avoid being out in the open. Unless you keep him outside for an extended period of time, and maybe observe him from a distance, you are not going to see him out in the open very much.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I agree with Neal. Two of my adults still take off for cover outside. They will come out and bask a little, but definitely prefer to be under a bush or hide. Strangely, it is both my females now that I think of it. My male on the other hand loves the sun and will move across the yard as the sun sets just so he can get more sunshine. He is mor eoutgoing and curious than the other two, so maybe all that plays a role in it too.

As for indoors, some of my hatchlings will sit under the basking light while most tend to hang around the heat lamp and nap. If your guy is growing well and is healthy and active then I wouldn't worry too much about him now. :)

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
JoesMum said:
What type of UV do you have? If it's a compact (coil) type then it could be hurting his eyes.

Outside is new and strange to you tort, so I would expect the hiding instinct out ther until he becomes confident enough in the new surroundings to do more.

No I've never used a coil bulb, but I don't know what he had before I got him. I don't think it was a coil, I'm hoping not :(

Im definitely going to build an enclosure for him so he can get used to the same space all of the time - I think this will help get him used to being outside.

Neal said:
As far as his outside behavior, I think what you are seeing is normal tortoise behavior. It has been my experience that when a tortoise is in unfamiliar surroundings, their first instinct is to hide and avoid being out in the open. Unless you keep him outside for an extended period of time, and maybe observe him from a distance, you are not going to see him out in the open very much.

Im so glad he's normal! lol. I have no others to compare with other than the ones on the forum. I don't follow him round and I do observe from a distance. Some days he will walk around much more than other days.

Greg T said:
I agree with Neal. Two of my adults still take off for cover outside. They will come out and bask a little, but definitely prefer to be under a bush or hide. Strangely, it is both my females now that I think of it. My male on the other hand loves the sun and will move across the yard as the sun sets just so he can get more sunshine. He is mor eoutgoing and curious than the other two, so maybe all that plays a role in it too.

As for indoors, some of my hatchlings will sit under the basking light while most tend to hang around the heat lamp and nap. If your guy is growing well and is healthy and active then I wouldn't worry too much about him now. :)

Mine is a male, I'll have to see how/if he changes as he grows and gets older. Your male sounds so cute following the sun :)
He's a slow grower as he was probably started dry, but he's growing, eats a lot, naps a lot of the day, and poops a lot lol.

Not related to this topic but im getting another fecal sample tested soon because he's been in the garden now. And I want to double check everything.

Vickie

5 Year Member
LeopardTortLover said:
I think I have a really unusual tortoise. When he's in his indoor enclosure, he very rarely basks under his UV lamp. Whenever he's outside he has full run of both mine and my neighbours gardens, but he will NEVER lie in the sun. He will go to every length to avoid it, and find every bush or plant he can to hide under.

I've tried placing hides in the sun, but he doesn't use them at all. I also have a hide next to his lamp so he'll feel safe but nope, he chooses his plant pot instead.

Any thoughts/suggestions as to why? Or is he just a tortoise that prefers shade? B-) Im trying to stop him pyramiding but he doesnt really help himself!

I am new at this tortoise thing and just getting ready now hopefully getting one. However, I did have a yellow bellied slider outside and not sure if its the same thing or not but can tell you his issue. Most sliders tend to be more on edge and slide in the water on any major movement etc. However, ours got handled so much he didn't rarely move UNLESS a dog was barking in the distance. If any unusual sound like that was outdoors that is when we would find he was always hiding. Just a thought.

kingskettle

5 Year Member
My two males used to schmooze around their grass pen whenever I put them out: they'd eat the grass,weeds plus the weeds and flowers I fed them. Now, all that has stopped. I put them out around 10am and they immediately head for the covered,shade zone and there they stay all day until I appear around 6pm with a load of food and their bath. I don't know if this behaviour change has to do with their time of life( they are 7 years old now and weigh around 7lbs or if it's to do with the summer temps of 30 degrees. Around 7pm I take them inside to their sleeping area which is a large plastic box with damp coir inside and a heat mat fixed to the roof inside for night time heat. They both started to pyramid end of last year.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
They STARTED to pyramid at seven?! Surely that can't be right? I thought once they were 3-5 it stopped? Oh dear :( maybe it is just temp change.

Since this thread has been bumped up I may as well do an update. Marley has been out for 12 hours a day every day this week and is loving the sunshine! He'll roam around for hours and feed on grass, clover, weeds, dandelion, dasies and buttercups (apparently they're toxic but they've done no harm).

He no longer seeks shade and hides for hours. He does still hide quite a bit but will now go for a roam (usually to next doors) by himself :)

Status
Not open for further replies.