5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Very cute. Welcome to the forum.

meeko

kcmo
Thanks its 8- 9 months old weight is 106 grams wondering if it's slow starter or if the weight is normal 🤔 eating mazuri ls diet and greens but eating and sleeping alot

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I give mazuri maybe 2 times a month and only a few, and he is almost 18yrs old. I personally would do more greens and Google Kapidolo Farms for organic options. They are awesome and very helpful. @Kapidolo Farms

meeko

kcmo
Awesome thanks I will definitely look into it I've been offering kale collard turnip and Greenleaf to him-her

Reactions: Ink

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Seems rather small for 8-9 months? I may be wrong. Not an expert. But it's gorgeous!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Seems rather small for 8-9 months? I may be wrong. Not an expert. But it's gorgeous!
I can't remember nor know what Ink weighed at that age. They all grow at different rates. @Tom might be able to help you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks its 8- 9 months old weight is 106 grams wondering if it's slow starter or if the weight is normal 🤔 eating mazuri ls diet and greens but eating and sleeping alot
In summer I feed mazuri about once a month. They get a lot more weeds, flowers, leaves, more natural diet in summer. I feed more mazuri in the winter months. A more natural food is better if you can but mazuri once a week or so is fine.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Last edited:

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Does your tortoise have a name? Please read the care sheet on this forum. It will help you out VERY much.

meeko

kcmo
I started to reply, the growth lines were different. Thank you for answering me. Still a very nice looking tortoise. Also, when I got Ink I don't know if mazuri was available (dial up connection times), I used chicken feed for hens laying eggs. Another vet told me that and works great.
Yes we have chickens also silkys ans other breeds and sulcata tortoises also mortise and myrtle there about 50 to 60 lb 😆 20240416_183021.jpg20240313_171237.jpg

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Keep up the soaks and it can be useful to keep a weight log to track and monitor weight gain and loss! You have a varied selection of pets.

meeko

kcmo
Thanks I soak him or her every other day and it's drinking out of the water bowl also eats very well and goes to sleep for a while and goes and eats again later same process lol thanks very much for your help im wondering if it's a high white ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks I soak him or her every other day and it's drinking out of the water bowl also eats very well and goes to sleep for a while and goes and eats again later same process lol thanks very much for your help im wondering if it's a high white ?
Not a high white, just a normal leopard, but very attractive. 106 is small for 8-9 months old, but the growth looks good and I wouldn't worry about the size.

I would soak daily for 30-40 minutes and keep the water warm the whole time.

Mazuri should only be fed once or twice a week. Avoid grocery store greens when you can and use free weeds, leaves, flowers and succulents.

Tortoises should never live in pairs. It is a problem for your sulcatas right now, and is likely to become a bigger problem as they get older.

More here. This thread is for people new to the forum, not necessarily new to tortoises:

Questions are welcome.