50lb PSYCHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

LBSKUNK

5 Year Member
Hello everyone, it's been a while since I have logged on here. I'm having trouble with my 50 pound, 6 year old sulcata. We have a HUGE backyard that is all his. Lots of grass, edible flowers/plants, 3 large hibiscus trees, a large heated enclosure... it's a monster tortoise paradise. It's all his and no body else's.
The problem is he just started flipping himself over every other day. There are no other tortoises in that backyard so I know that is not the problem. He is a bulldozer; very active and plows through everything.
I have found him limp on his back from who knows how many hours he was on his back. And I've even turned my own back for one minute before I found him another time on his back.
Like I said he does this every other day and luckly I have the time and convenience to check on him often and find him in these desparate situations. Poor guy.
He's a very manly tort, flashes his unmentionable every single day.. but he has never had contact with a female before so I don't know what is up with his psycho, macho, kamakazi mood lately.
Any advice on keeping him from flipping himself over? The sad thing is everytime I find him upside down, I realize he is unable to flip back over :(
I wish I could invent something that would keep him from doing this to himself. Too bad there is no xanax for torts hahaha (I'm only kidding... kinda ;))

Any advice, tips, knowledge would be so much appreciated :0)

LBSKUNK

5 Year Member
spikethebest said:
can you take some pics of the area?

Hi there! I sure will. I'm headed home right now and i will take a bunch of pics of his backyard and post them on here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think Cory meant to take pictures of the area where he flips. We're trying to see what it is that is making it easy for him to flip.....or does it happen everywhere in the yard?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
HOW does he flip over? is he climbing on something? Is there a hole or mounds? Or does he literally 'flip ' out?

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
Is there a dog in the yard that could be playing with him and flipping him when your not looking? just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.