VERY SERIOUS QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayannabella

5 Year Member
ok, im so confused. i have found my lil man on his back like 5 times and when i go to flip him back over he hisses at me. Number one why in the heck does he go on his back?? number 2 what if im not here and hes on his back? can he roll himself over?? i dont have anything that steep i dont even know how he gets to his back. im freaking out!!! i know he hisses as probably a defence thing so im not worried abt that i just wanna know what that means when hes on his back? i didnt think that was ok?? lol maybe im just dumb i dunno.

richalisoviejo

5 Year Member
The first two times I found the little one on his back with his little legs kicking in the air I thought how in the heck is he getting on his back. The third time I witnessed it. He tried climbing on the curved wooden home he sleeps in and fell off.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Where are you finding him when he is on his back? Near a side, water bowl, etc.? He may be climbing and flipping himself. I don't find that they right themselves very well. If you post a pic of your enclosure maybe we can give you some pointers.

kayannabella

5 Year Member
hes just in the middle of his cage. theres nothing around him.. the one time he did fall off his log but i moved it around so he couldnt anymore... maybe hes jus walkin too fast and falls over? lol i dont know it just scares the crap outta me

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
That doesn't sound probable. Try and get a pic. Maybe something to do with the substrate.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
They dont tip over very easily.. he has to be climbing on something. OR if there is not a top on his cage, maybe a bird or dog is getting in??
If he does this and is in the sun, it can be a problem.
The Hissing is not at you. Like a cat...they do that when they pull in . Or when they have been upside down and get righted it must be a relief.
But I dont really think its a aggressive thing..

M

Maggie Cummings

It's NOT hissing, it's the sound of air releasing as he pulls his body and head back into his shell...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
There is usually a reason for flipping over. With some enclosure pictures and an x marks the spot for where you've found him, we should be able to help. Also, some substrates are more prone to torts flipping over. Some torts can roll themselves over, but it depends on the type of substrate, how domed the shell is, etc. Best thing it to remove all hazards and hope for the best. Also, not have hazards near water or right under the light. Them being on their back under heat or in water is the worst, as they will not last as long.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
kayannabella, I went back over your previous posts and it seems Octavious had been running so fast that he has flipped before. http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-6877.html post #15. It is unusual that a tort runs so fast they flip. But you stated he had, so he may be running and if you have an incline he may be flipping or he may be flipping by trying to climb the sides. If he can right himself that will be no problem, if he can't it could be deadly. If he flips in his water or under his heat lamps and can not right himself it could cause death. If he is on his back for a long time it could cause resperatory problems and possibly death. I could check how level his enclosure is. Watch him when you can and see what is causing him to run. He may need more hide areas or something that will slow him down.

Status
Not open for further replies.