3rd set of bulbs

Okay, I am trying to get this right. I think I finally have the correct lighting for my torts indoor enclosure after 3 trys. I got a UVA/ UVB mercury vapor light on a timer to be on 12 hrs a day. Then I have a ceramic heat bulb to be on 24 hrs a day. She spends most the day under the bulb and goes to her hide on the cool end at night. Should I keep this bulb on the warm end of the enclosure, even though it's in the opposite side if the enclosure from where she sleeps? It would be appx. 6 feet away from her hide.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
You should not need the CHE for a russian. How cold does your house get? Russians should have a basking area of around 95-100 for 12-14 hours a day, and then it should be cool and dark at night. If your house isn't dropping below 55 F at night, you really don't need and shouldn't use the CHE.

Your MVB should be fine, but my preference is to use an inexpensive 65 watt flood bulb from the hardware store for basking heat, and then use a properly mounted HO florescent tube for UV and lighting up the rest of the enclosure. I find this works better than creating one bright spot in an otherwise dark indoor enclosure.