Enough Light in Enclosure for Russian

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio
I just adopted a russian a few days ago and I have him in a 6x4 closed chamber. At one end I have the CHE with his hide under it and at the other end I have a 100 watt MVB. Will this be enough light for him? I have another socket available in the center - should I get another 100 watt UV bulb for more light?
Also about what temp should I keep it at night? I have the CHE hooked up to a thermostat. Bulb on 12 hrs and off 12 hrs correct? One more question, what temp should he be in during the day?
I've let him out of his chamber for some supervised time in the yard but he just burroughs himself in the grass and stays there. Does walk around or graze? Our temps here in San Antonio are still pretty mild, low 70s during the day and low 60s at night. We have his closed chamber on our covered patio.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use florescent tubes to add light to my chambers. I think another 100 watt bulb might over heat it.

I like mid sixties at night for russians. They can certainly tolerate lower, but I see no purpose for that.

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
I use florescent tubes to add light to my chambers. I think another 100 watt bulb might over heat it.

I like mid sixties at night for russians. They can certainly tolerate lower, but I see no purpose for that.
whenever it does start getting cooler during the day what should daytime temp be? so would the one bulb that I already have in there be enough? its 100watt mvb

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
whenever it does start getting cooler during the day what should daytime temp be? so would the one bulb that I already have in there be enough? its 100watt mvb

It should be around 100 directly under your basking bulb, 70-80 on the cool side, and over night low can be 65ish.

Only your thermometer can tell you if your 100 watt bulb is enough.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sandy:

If your russian tortoise isn't a baby, I really don't think you need to go the closed chamber route.

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
Hi Sandy:

If your russian tortoise isn't a baby, I really don't think you need to go the closed chamber route.
I really don't know exactly how old he is, only about 4 inches, the girl I adopted him from, bought him from Petsmart and she had him for a year. I'd rather keep him in the closed chamber this fall - I understand I should keep him from hibernating this year since he's in a new environment. Is that correct? That's why I was checking on temps, light...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I really don't know exactly how old he is, only about 4 inches, the girl I adopted him from, bought him from Petsmart and she had him for a year. I'd rather keep him in the closed chamber this fall - I understand I should keep him from hibernating this year since he's in a new environment. Is that correct? That's why I was checking on temps, light...

Keeping him up his first year with you is certainly the safe bet, and it shouldn't hurt anything.

The closed chamber should serve you well. They make it easy and much more energy efficient to maintain whatever temperatures and humidity you desire.

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
Keeping him up his first year with you is certainly the safe bet, and it shouldn't hurt anything.

The closed chamber should serve you well. They make it easy and much more energy efficient to maintain whatever temperatures and humidity you desire.
he burroughs quite a big and digs himself in the cypress mulch substr. - all you see is the top of his shell - is that normal? even when I took him out for some afternoon sun in the backyard he didn't walk around like I expected, he just burroughed himself in the grass? Also, he hasn't eaten much, just picked a little then turns away? This is day 3 that I've had him - maybe the newness of the environment?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
he burroughs quite a big and digs himself in the cypress mulch substr. - all you see is the top of his shell - is that normal? even when I took him out for some afternoon sun in the backyard he didn't walk around like I expected, he just burroughed himself in the grass? Also, he hasn't eaten much, just picked a little then turns away? This is day 3 that I've had him - maybe the newness of the environment?

That is pretty normal for a new one, especially this time of year when they want to hibernate anyway. Do your best to keep him warm and well lit. Soak him every other day, and all of this will eventually convince him to not hibernate.

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
That is pretty normal for a new one, especially this time of year when they want to hibernate anyway. Do your best to keep him warm and well lit. Soak him every other day, and all of this will eventually convince him to not hibernate.
will do :)

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
Is it ok to take him out from his burrough...now and then to keep him active or is it best not to disturb

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is it ok to take him out from his burrough...now and then to keep him active or is it best not to disturb

Its fine. And in most cases it helps keep them up and moving a bit more. Some of them are very persistent about wanting to hibernate.

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
Its fine. And in most cases it helps keep them up and moving a bit more. Some of them are very persistent about wanting to hibernate.
Yes he seems to be like that....and the not eating has me a bit worried :/

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
Ok I did take him out of his bourrough and he did stay out a while and walked around but still didn't want to eat anything...we'll try again tomorrow

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok I did take him out of his bourrough and he did stay out a while and walked around but still didn't want to eat anything...we'll try again tomorrow

It sometimes takes two or three weeks to break them out of it. Just think warm, bright and long days… Make adjustments to your heating and lighting strategy if need be.