3" Red Foot Tortoise

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Don't know if you've solved the heat issue yet , but yes 120 is way too hot.
I shoot for 95-100 under a ceramic bulb. Mine is right over a paving brick and I use a temp gun to tell me the temp on surface of brick. I'm using a 65 watt ceramic bulb for night heat about 13" from the paver. A UVB during the day that is 65 watts also. Both are on continuously not temp controlled but the temps never vary more than a few degrees I also keep my house rather warm so that helps I suppose.

My entire enclosure stays 76-88 degrees depending on where you point the gun. The heat is at one end so the gradient moves from there. With an enclosed top there does not seem to be an issue. My table is 2' x 5' and 14" high.

Currently I have 3 juvenile leopards in there. And they get out to roam everyday above 75 in the sun a few hours - which is most days here even in winter. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417456406.007334.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417456425.836980.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Hi everyone

1 of the adult tortoises I rescued about 6 week ago has I think the top jaw of her beak overgrowing. I've attached some photos for everyone to see. What is the best way to deal with this. I feed her off a slate hoping it will grind her beak down. Is there something I can do, should I try and file it down with a nail file or is this a job for the vet. She has only just started to trust us so I am reluctant to knock her confidence at the moment.
Any opinions please.

photo 1 (5).JPG photo 1 (6).JPG photo 5 (4).JPG