Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
2016 Rescue #29 a.jpg 2016 Rescue #29 b.jpg 2016 Rescue #29 c.jpg

The story is the people got three hatchlings from a backyard breeder in their town. They didn't know they had two males until the tortoises 'came of age' so to speak. They had taken one of them to the vet several times to take care of fighting injuries, and the only solution they were able to come up with was to lock one of them up in the garage. So they made the hard decision to re-home the bully. They said he weighs 50lbs, but I haven't weighed him yet.

This will be a no fee adoption, but because I like to do a yard inspection, I only adopt my rescues out locally. This is what I look for during my inspection:

Is habitat large enough for this species?
Fencing Tall enough?
Secure at bottom to prevent digging?
Is fence “see through”?-
Gates Do gates latch securely?
Is there a spring for automatic closing?
- Does tortoise have access to whole yard?- (Games like softball and soccer can adversely affect turtles or tortoises, which may be in the path of a child not watching where he is running)
Is there a dog?----- (Dogs WILL chew on tortoises and turtles)
Is there a pool?-- Fenced?--- (Tortoises cannot swim and will drown in an unfenced pool)
Is there shelter from the sun? From the rain?----- From the cold?
Is there an adequate water supply?-
- Is there a clean area for feeding?--
Is the enclosure planted with plants that are good for them to eat?-- To hide in?-
Is there grass or weeds for grazing?--
Are the tops of the corners guarded to inhibit climbing?-
- Is there a separate enclosure for each species?--
Is the hibernation area for tortoises dry?-
For box turtles moist?
- Is there a warm area or warm house for non-hibernating species?-
- Pond Large enough?------ Deep enough?--
- Meets needs of turtle for basking, swimming, hiding, eating?-
- TEMPORARY indoor enclosures - Full spectrum lighting?---- Adequate heating?--- Substrate that will not harm if ingested?---

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
so you're telling me tortoises cannot swim? That's news to me :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
so you're telling me tortoises cannot swim? That's news to me :)

I know you're just being your usual smarty pants self, but actually some tortoises CAN swim. But desert tortoises sink like rocks. It's just better to be safe than sorry. Say a leopard walked off the coping into an in-the-ground pool. He could float around in there for quite a while, but without being able to get out, I doubt he'll live a very long time in there.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
That's actually a little on the light side. I usually am up in the 40's this time of year.

holy moley wow. well your awesome for doing it. most people don't give torts/turtles/reptiles enough love they seem to think they're more expendable then a dog or a cat

fanofthedog

5 Year Member
He is so adorable. He looks way more than 50lbs to me! Good luck with rehoming. He is really so cute!

ChuckK

Florida
He looks like a beautiful tort! I wish I had the space! If a smaller species comes up I will gladly take him or her home! I am glad there are people like you to foster torts when people can't care for them properly. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.