2017 Rescues #1 & #2 - Thelma and Louise

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yes, these 3 year old sulcatas have girls' names, but they're too young yet to sex for sure. If you live close to Fresno, California and are interested in adopting Thelma and Louise, please give me a call - Yvonne @ 298-7114.

I won't ship, so don't bother asking. There is no fee to adopt, but I have to come over and have a look at the yard where you plan to keep a sulcata. I'm looking for:

WHAT WE LOOK FOR DURING YARD INSPECTION

Is habitat large enough for this species?---------------------------------------------------------- Fencing Tall enough?--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Secure at bottom to prevent digging?-------------------------------------------- Is fence “see through”?----------------------------------------------------------- Gates Do gates latch securely?---------------------------------------------------------- Is there a spring for automatic closing?----------------------------------------- Does tortoise have access to whole yard?--------------------------------------------------------- (Games like softball and soccer can adversely affect turtles or tortoises, which may be in the path of a child not watching where he is running) Is there a dog?-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (Dogs WILL chew on tortoises and turtles) Is there a pool?------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Fenced?---------------------------------------------------------------------------- (Tortoises cannot swim and will drown in an unfenced pool) Is there shelter from the sun?-------------------------------------------------------------------- From the rain?--------------------------------------------------------------------- From the cold?--------------------------------------------------------------------- Is there an adequate water supply?--------------------------------------------------------------- Is there a clean area for feeding?---------------------------------------------------------------- Is the enclosure planted with plants that are good for them to eat?--------------------------- To hide in?------------------------------------------------------------------------- Is there grass or weeds for grazing?------------------------------------------------------------- Are the tops of the corners guarded to inhibit climbing?--------------------------------------- Is there a separate enclosure for each species?------------------------------------------------ Is the hibernation area for tortoises dry?------------------------------------------------------- For box turtles moist?------------------------------------------------------------ Is there a warm area or warm house for non-hibernating species?----------------------------- Pond Large enough?--------------------------------------------------------------------- Deep enough?---------------------------------------------------------------------- Meets needs of turtle for basking, swimming, hiding, eating?----------------- TEMPORARY indoor enclosures - Full spectrum lighting?-------------------------------- Adequate heating?---------------------------------------------------------------- Substrate that will not harm if ingested?---------------------------

And while I'm walking around looking at the yard, I'm talking to you and getting a feel for if you really understand what adopting a tortoise entails.

Because we always say 'Thelma' first when we say, "Thelma and Louise," and since I don't really know which is which, I've dubbed the larger one Thelma and the other is Louise. But remember, they may be boys:

2017 Rescue #1 & #2 a.jpg 2017 Rescue #1 & #2 b.jpg 2017 Rescue #1 & #2 c.jpg

Thelma weighs 5 lbs and Louise weighs 3lbs - three years of age.

shotgun

5 Year Member
i live in modesto and am interested in takign them
i have al lot of room for them and an outside enclosure they will use in the summer and a large shop to keep them in the winter
let me know what you think

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Like I said, I have to come over and walk through the yard where you want to keep the tortoises.

shotgun

5 Year Member
no problem you are welcome any time
i can also make a video later tonight and send it to you via cell of email

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
no problem you are welcome any time
i can also make a video later tonight and send it to you via cell of email

You've missed the point. I asked for people in my geographical area because I don't want to drive very far to do yard inspections. I'm 78 years old, and I don't drive very much, limiting my ability to be in a crash.

shotgun

5 Year Member
well i can always make a video for you and i can pick up the tortoises at your location
i am just trying to help
you did not make the point you were not able to travel
walking through THE YARD was your requirement
please let me know if there is anyway we can make this happen
Clovis california to modesto california is about 1.5 hours